University of the Western Cape School of Public Health Postdoctoral Fellowship 2021
Deadline: July 30, 2021
Applications are open for the University of the Western Cape School of Public Health Postdoctoral Fellowship 2021. The Postdoctoral Fellow will be required to register at the University of the Western Cape, and will work on a 3-year project that aims to strengthen community engagement in public health research in South Africa.
The fellowship covers the following content and methodological areas:
- Evidence synthesis (including qualitative systematic review, narrative review, scoping review, rapid review);
- Qualitative primary research (including interviews, focus group discussions, participant observation and participatory action research);
- Implementation science or knowledge translation (including community engagement); and
- Study participation or community engagement in public health research.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will contribute to both research and teaching activities linked to these areas.
- The fellowship is initially available for one year, starting from September 2021 (or close to that), ranging between R330,000 and R370,000 (tax-free) per annum. Renewal for further years (up to a maximum of 3 years) will be considered depending on satisfactory performance and continued funding.
- Applicant must have completed a PhD in the last five years and may not have held a prior permanent academic post. For applicants who did not obtain their qualification in South Africa, a valid SAQA certificate should be in hand at the time of application.
- Experience and expertise in qualitative primary research and evidence synthesis.
- A strong academic record with evidence of research experience and peer-reviewed publications.
- All candidates will be considered, but preference will be given to a suitably qualified South African citizen or permanent resident.
Advantageous skills include:
- Grant-writing and project management experience, including ability to liaise with a range of stakeholders;
- Experience organising online and face-to-face workshops and engagements; and
- Teaching and postgraduate supervision experience.
Eligible candidates should provide the following:
- A cover letter by the candidate motivating suitability to the position available.
- A one-page summary outlining their research interest and how this opportunity may advance that.
- A full CV including all conference attendance, publications and other scholarly research output.
- Evidence of publication record and writing skills (which can be copies of or a link to a relevant peer-reviewed publication).
- An academic transcript.
- Names and contact details of at least 3 referees who have supervised or worked with the candidate and can speak to their experience and skills.
Enquiries and completed application should be forwarded to Carnita Ernest via [email protected] Please use subject heading: Application for Postdoctoral Fellowship. Completed applications need to be submitted by no later than 5pm on July 30, 2021.
For more information, visit University of the Western Cape.