Deadline: August 15, 2021
Applications for the Democracy Now! Video Production Fellowship Program 2021 are now open. Democracy Now! fellowships are full-time, one-year work placements that pay a livable wage and include fully paid medical and dental benefits. The fellowships provide support and mentorship to underrepresented early-career journalists and digital media professionals, including BIPOC, people with disabilities and gender nonconforming people.
Democracy Now! is committed to building greater diversity in newsrooms and training the next generation of journalists. Fellows will develop skills and gain experience in a daily live TV news environment, and have the opportunity to bring their unique voices, perspectives and experiences into the newsroom. All fellowships take place at their Manhattan, NY studio where they produce their daily news hour. Democracy Now! staff provide one-on-one mentorship and supervision to help fellows maximize their exposure to newsroom, production and online publishing practices.
- Preparing video packages and visual elements for newscast and website.
- Working with the production team during the live morning show.
- Operating teleprompter and studio cameras.
- Shooting and editing field packages, including speeches, protests, press conferences and other news events.
- Supporting producers and social media team in editing content for web and social media.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Applicants should have at least 3 years of video shooting and editing experience, ideally including some news experience.
- Experience with Adobe Premiere strongly preferred.
- Finger on the pulse of national and global news.
- Commitment to Democracy Now!’s independent media mission.
- Creative, flexible and comfortable with the pressures of a live news environment.
- Tech-savvy, familiar with most social media platforms and interested in learning new technologies and systems.
- Experience with all Adobe Creative Suite applications a plus.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) a plus.
- News writing experience a plus.
- Applicants must have a valid US work authorization and be available to work full-time in New York City for the duration of the one-year fellowship.
- Democracy Now! is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, people with disabilities, women and LGBTQ-identified people are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as received, so applying early is strongly encouraged. All applications must be received by August 15, 2021, and must include:
- A complete chronological resume, including dates of employment.
- The names and contact information for two references.
- A relevant work sample, ideally a news story you’ve worked on.
- A cover letter that addresses the following points:
- Why are you a good fit for this position?
- How and when did you first discover Democracy Now!?
For more information, visit Video Production Fellowship.