Deadline: September 30, 2021
Nominations for the A. Noam Chomsky Global Connections Awards 2021 are now open. The Global Connections Awards recognize scholars for their achievements and distinctive contributions to transnational research that demonstrates the very best of scholarly collaboration among scholars around the world.
The Society of Transnational Academic Researchers (STAR) Scholars Network is committed to promoting transnational research, or collaborative research between scholars of two or more countries (e.g., joint publications, research partnerships, etc.) that impacts humanity positively beyond national borders.
In December 2021, the STAR Scholars Network will provide awards in four categories.
- North Star Medal of Lifetime Achievement: The North Star Medal of Lifetime Achievement is the Star Scholars Network’s premiere acknowledgement of outstanding achievement and success in transnational research. The medal honors a senior scholar whose life-long service, leadership and contributions serve as a guiding “North Star” for scholarly collaboration in research.
- Shining Star Achievement in Research Award: Each year, the Star Scholars Network celebrates up to two (2) exemplary achievements in transnational research. The Shining Star Achievement in Research Award recognizes influential scholarly contributions in any discipline or language, whether they be in the form of scholarly journal articles, books, book chapters, or other expressions of scholarly collaboration. This award recognizes an exemplary publication, not an individual or individuals.
- Rising Star Emerging Scholar Certificate: Each year, the STAR Scholars Network recognizes up to two (2) emerging scholars who have shown significant promise and commitment to transnational research. One award will recognize an emerging scholar (post-terminal degree completion) in any field that has distinguished themselves as a rising leader in advancing transnational research. The other award will recognize a current graduate student who has demonstrated significant promise to advancing transnational research through publications, leadership, or other relevant contributions.
- Star Humanitarian Award in Global Health: A new award in 2021, the STAR Humanitarian Award in Global Health recognizes a scholar whose work is fundamental to combating the devastating societal impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on nations across the globe. The STAR Scholars Network recognizes an individual who has demonstrated the utility and application of their scholarly work in combating the pandemic and reducing its adverse consequences. The recipient’s scholarly work must demonstrate potential for global reach in terms of its applicability to the betterment of the human condition.
Recipient of A. Noam Chomsky Global Connections Awards
Eligibility requirements for North Star Medal of Lifetime Achievement:
- Candidates must demonstrate a history of educational leadership that spans a minimum of 15 years, as evidenced in teaching, research, and mentorship.
- Candidates must have an extensive record of publications that exemplify a long-standing commitment to fostering transnational research connections among scholars around the world.
- Candidates must have scholarly records that demonstrate a profound impact in advancing a more humane world.
Eligibility requirements for Shining Star Achievement in Research Award:
- The scholarly achievement in transnational research must have been made after July in the year proceeding recognition. (Note: For the 2021 cycle, only publications or scholarly contributions dated July 2020 or after will be considered.)
- The award recognizes the primary author(s), editor(s) or related primary contributor(s).
Eligibility requirements for Rising Star Emerging Scholar Certificate:
- Candidates must be less than 5 years beyond completion of their terminal degree. Candidates must have demonstrated scholarly promise and a commitment to transnational research, as evidenced in teaching, research, and/or mentorship.
Eligibility requirements for Star Humanitarian Award in Global Health:
- Candidate’s scholarly work must have transnational application in combating COVID-19 pandemic.
- Candidate’s scholarly work must have potential to benefit humanity in multiple regions of the globe.
Nominators must be members of the Society of Transnational Academic Researchers (STAR). All members are invited to submit nominations (in English). Self-nominations are also welcome; however, membership in their society is required. Candidates may represent any discipline or language of publication but must demonstrate a scholarly commitment to advancing transnational research. For 2021, the STAR Scholars Network is especially eager to receive nominations for those whose work focuses on combatting the public health and societal implications of the COVID-19 pandemic.
For more information, visit Global Connections Awards.