Electric South New Dimensions Lab 2022 for African Artists (Funded)
Deadline: October 4, 2021
Applications for the New Dimensions Lab 2022 are now open. Now in its 5th edition, the New Dimensions Lab brings together diverse African artists to develop stories told through creative technology alongside leading industry mentors.
The Lab takes place over the course of a week at a private retreat where artists engage in discussions and masterclasses, and workshop their creative projects. As a result of the ongoing COVID-19 travel restrictions, the Lab will take on a hybrid format giving applicants who are unable to travel an opportunity to virtually immerse themselves. 12 physical and 6 virtual applicants will be selected to participate. Electric South will commission and finance at least three works developed at the 5th New Dimensions Lab.
- Electric South fully covers travel, accommodation and meals for participants.
Applicants must be:
- Citizens or permanent residents of an African country
- Currently living on the African continent (at least 8 months a year)
- Accomplished in an artistic field. Any creative discipline is welcome. Past applicants have experience in: documentary and fiction film, theatre, performance & visual arts, fashion, photography, writing, design, creative technology and game development.
Projects ideas must:
- Be non-fiction stories. They welcome creative interpretation of documentaries and fiction/documentary hybrids.
- Use immersive technologies, such as Virtual Reality (VR) or Augmented Reality (AR). This could include 360 film, interactive worlds, animation, artificial intelligence, projection mapping, hybrid forms, and beyond.
The deadline for submission is October 4, 2021. All successful applicants will be notified by October 25, 2021. The Lab will run from February 26 –March 6, 2022 in South Africa.
For more information, visit New Dimensions Lab.