Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa 2021 (up to EUR 250,000)
Deadline: December 1, 2021
Applications are open for the Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa 2021. The Award aims to identify and support promising social entrepreneurs with digital or technology-powered solutions for people in Africa to help them build the foundations to scale.
For the 2021 Kofi Annan Award they are seeking innovative solutions from across the African continent to contribute to Sustainable Development Goal 3, Good Health and Well-Being, with a strong focus on achieving high quality universal health coverage.
The Kofi Annan Award has been initiated by the Austrian Federal Chancellery, in collaboration with the United Nations World Food Program (WFP) Innovation Accelerator, the Austrian Development Agency and the Kofi Annan Foundation.
You will get the chance to
- win up to EUR 250,000 in grants as a finalist and attend a 12-month accelerator program;
- participate in a 5-day innovation bootcamp;
- present your solution to a distinguished jury;
- network with mentors, investors and potential business partners;
- gain international exposure.
- Your company must be a for-profit legal entity and incorporated for at least two years at the time of application.
- Your solution is anchored in at least one African country.
- The applicant must have existing contacts / presence in the country of implementation: country office or other permanent presence, subsidiary, long-term operations or partnerships in the country.
- Your innovation clearly addresses one or more areas of SDG 3 Target Indicator 8.
- The entity does not fall under any of the points listed in the solemn declaration.
- Your innovation has more than 1 million people of total addressable market.
- Your startup pays attention to environmental protection and climate change, gender equality and women empowerment, as well as social inclusion (leave no one behind).
- Your startup is not required to make a monetary contribution to the proposed project budget.
- Your innovation should have a strong proof-of-concept with initial traction and a clear path to scale.
Your application will be evaluated in equal weight according to the following criteria:
- Impact & Scalability
- Business Model
The deadline for submission is December 1, 2021 at 11:59 pm (CET). late submissions will not be considered.
For more information, visit Kofi Annan Award.