Deadline: December 1, 2021
Applications for the Google Research Scholar Program 2022 are now open. The Research Scholar Program aims to support early-career professors who are pursuing research in fields relevant to Google.
The Research Scholar Program provides unrestricted gifts to support research at institutions around the world, and is focused on funding world-class research conducted by early-career professors. It is Google’s hope that this program will help develop collaborations with new professors and encourage the formation of long-term relationships.
- The funds granted will be up to $60,000 USD and are intended to support the advancement of the professor’s research.
- Applicant should be a full-time assistant, associate, or full professor at a university or degree-granting research institution.
- Post doctoral staff can only serve as a co-PI, not a primary PI.
- Applicants must have received their PhD within seven years of submission (e.g. applicant in 2021 must have received PhD in 2014 or later).
- They consider exceptions for applicants who have been teaching seven years or fewer and had delays, such as working in industry, parental leave, leave of absence, etc. This exception request can be documented on the application.
- Applicants can submit one application per round.
- Faculty can only serve as a PI or Co-PI per round. Applicants cannot serve on two separate proposals.
- Applicants can apply a maximum of 3 times within the 7 years post-PhD.
Proposals are selected through an internal review process. Applicants will be notified of their proposal status within four months of the initial submission. They ask applicants to categorize their proposals into one of the following areas of interest to Google in Computer Science and related fields:
- Algorithms and optimization
- Augmented and virtual reality
- Cooling and power
- Health research
- Human-computer interaction
- Information retrieval and real time content
- Machine learning and data mining
- Machine perception
- Machine translation
- Natural language processing
- Quantum computing
- Software engineering and programming languages
- Structured data, extraction, semantic graph, and database management
- Systems (hardware and software)
Apply by December 1, 2021 at 11:59:59pm UTC. Application after this date will not be accepted.
For more information, visit Google Research.