Writer’s Council Fellowship 2021 for Aspiring Writers
Deadline: November 30, 2021
Applications are open for the Writer’s Council Fellowship 2021. This is a position that will hold membership in IVolunteer International’s Writer’s Council.
The Writers’ Council is a leadership training and activist empowerment program. Through monthly guest-speaker series, cohort members will be able to hone their expertise and knowledge on a variety of professional and personal skills that are essential in creating impact-oriented advocacy movements. Fellows will also get the opportunity to make new friendships across the globe and collaborate on covering social issues.
The position is a flexible position, which means that the tasks allocated to you must be completed on your own time on or before the deadline and you can work from anywhere, virtually. This is an unpaid, volunteer position without any financial compensation.
- Work together with your assigned Editor to achieve the objectives of the Writers’ Council and the blog.
- Be able to cover events in the local community and interview activists and advocates as requested.
- Publish a minimum of four articles per month (1 article per week).
- Attend bi-weekly and/or monthly virtual meetings.
- Attend bi-weekly and/or monthly professional development seminar series.
- Training on WordPress utilization, academic writing, blog writing, and general ethics in journalism and feedback on each article for improvement.
- Professional Development seminar series organized monthly, held on Zoom from experts in various fields.
- A letter of recommendation at the end of the volunteer period.
- A personal portfolio of your published articles maintained under a custom web address.
- The opportunity to network with high-level representatives from organizations worldwide and to attend exclusive partner events.
- Experience in operating a start-up nonprofit organization and public service.
- An opportunity to practice your journalism and writing/reporting skills.
- The ability, privilege, and power to give voice to the voiceless.
- Open to citizens of any country.
- Applicant must understand the vision and mission of IVolunteer International and the Writer’s Council.
- Proven history of community engagement, local activism, and leadership.
- Applicants must be between 18 – 35 years of age as of January 10, 2022.
- Have strong communication skills (reliability, response time) and have access to software such as Slack, Zoom, and reliable access to the internet to use other software such as email, Google Drive, etc.
- Have some experience and knowledge of Google Drive, Google Documents, WordPress and Microsoft Office.
- Be able to author and publish articles on WordPress (training will be provided).
- Have an excellent command of the English language in writing and speaking.
- A proven willingness and ability to meet deadlines.
- Have basic soft skills and leadership qualities to work together in a team.
- Have appropriate time and willingness to commit to achieving the goals and objectives of the program.
Applications will close on November 30, 2021 at 10:00am Eastern Standard Time (EST).
For more information, visit Writer’s Council Fellowship.