World Bank Group-Africa Education Fellowship Program 2022
Deadline: February 28, 2022
Applications for the World Bank Group-Africa Education Fellowship Program 2022 are now open. The WBG-Africa Education Fellowship Program targets young, talented African nationals who are master’s degree holders with three to four years of relevant experience who are completing or have recently completed their Ph.D. in an area relevant to the World Bank’s work in the Education sector.
The WBG-Africa Education Fellowship Program aims to develop a strong pipeline of young African talent interested in building careers in development, working with international institutions, governments, think tanks, the private sector and academia to improve education in developing countries.
The program offers chosen fellows a six-month assignment at WBG offices in Washington, D.C., or a country office to gain hands-on experience in WBG operations. This includes knowledge generation and dissemination, design of global and country policies, and the building of institutions to achieve inclusive growth in developing countries.
While benefitting from a rich array of experiences in the Education sector and collaborations with other sectors, fellows will also work on research, economic policy, technical assistance, and lending operations that contribute to the World Bank’s goal of eliminating poverty and increasing shared prosperity. Through the fellowship, they aim to build the capacity of the next generation of African change makers in Education development research and policymaking, and promote the goals of reducing poverty in the region.
Past fellows from the broader WBG Africa Fellowship Program have proven to be valuable resources for their hiring units. They contribute to the work program of their respective units and to the World Bank’s mission.
WBG-Africa Education Fellows will have the opportunity to:
- Gain a better understanding of the WBG’s mission and operations
- Access quality data for their research work
- Interact with seasoned education experts in the field of development
- Contribute to the WBG’s overall mission
- Be a Sub-Saharan Africa national
- Be a master’s degree holder with three to four years of relevant experience; recent Ph.D. graduate (within three years of completion) or be enrolled in the last year of the Ph.D. program
- Education specialization: Special Education, Early Childhood Education, Secondary Education (general and TVET), Tertiary education, Education Technology, Education Management, Curriculum and Instructional Design, Evaluation, Education Economics, etc. OR
- Other related fields: Economics, Public Policy, other Human Development or Social sector, STEM and other related areas, etc.
- Have an excellent command of English, both written and verbal. Fluency in other languages such as French or Portuguese is highly desirable
- Possess strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Be under the age of 32 by the closing of the application period
- Young African women who are eligible are encouraged to apply, especially those interested in Education Technology.
The selection process consists of two phases:
- In the first phase, a short-list of candidates will be made available for hire to the different Education units of the WBG depending on applicants’ specialization and business needs of the units. Applicants will be notified about the status of their application or whether they have been shortlisted or not.
- In the second phase, the final list of fellows will be selected in consultation with the various Education units of the WBG. When the selection is complete, all shortlisted candidates will be informed of their selection status.
Fill out all the forms in English only. Applications must be sunbmitted by February 28, 2022.
For more information, visit World Bank Group-Africa.