Kapor Fellows: Venture Capital Program 2022
Deadline: March 1, 2022
Applications are invited for the Kapor Fellows: Venture Capital Program 2022. For over 10 years the Kapor Center has run summer internship programs designed to provide career pathways to exponentially accelerate the number of underrepresented individuals entering tech companies, venture capital and tech-based entrepreneurship.
This year the Kapor Fellows: Venture Capital Program (formerly known as the Kapor Capital Summer Associate Program) is growing to include 6 partner funds who will also host summer associates. Partner funds represent both direct investors in technology startups and Limited Partners who invest in fund managers. Partner funds are led by diverse leadership teams and invest across a range of sectors.
In addition to working with a fund, a few summer fellows will work with a group of four Kapor Capital portfolio companies who are developing a shared offering to help low income citizens of color in cities. The companies span energy, fintech and workforce development.
- Review and analyze pitch decks and meet with entrepreneurs
- Deliver high quality analytical insights on various technologies and markets on a macro and micro level; provide input to investment team members
- Provide support for various market and technology research projects. Specific activities include but are not limited to: sector research; analysis on investment portfolio returns; and financial modeling
- Assist in deal execution under mentorship of investment team members. Responsibilities may include helping to draft Investment Memos and reviewing legal documentation
- Complete a Summer Capstone project related to each candidates interest and each firm’s needs. Past projects have included:
- Helping portfolio companies create a welcoming culture for people from diverse backgrounds
- Researching what platform services other early stage VCs and technology incubators provide to entrepreneurs
- Sector landscape analysis and strategy recommendation
- They offer a competitive monthly internship salary.
Open to candidates
- Entering an MBA, MS, JD, PhD, or a comparable graduate program in the Fall of 2022, or
- Currently in graduate school or completing their graduate studies, or
- Individuals with a few years of experience (preferably in startups or finance) looking to transition into a career in VC.
- Strong belief in the Kapor Center’s mission to use technology to close gaps of access and opportunity for low income communities and communities of color.
- Demonstrated commitment to closing gaps of access, opportunity, or outcomes for low-income communities of underrepresented ethnic and racial minorities.
- At least 2 years of full-time, post-undergraduate work experience.
- Desire to pursue a career in venture capital ecosystem.
- High level of confidentiality and strong work ethic.
- Superior written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively to all levels of the organization and to the larger technology community.
- Strong knowledge of Excel and Google Spreadsheets.
- Demonstrated success working with diverse teams (e.g. African-American, Latinx, Native American, and LGBTQ communities)
- Candidates with knowledge of the world of technology startups as a founder, early-stage employee, or another full-time role
The application deadline is Tuesday, March 1, 2022 11:59 PM PST. The program begins from early-June to Mid-August.
For more information, visit Kapor Fellows Program.