Deadline: April 5, 2022
Applications for the African Women in the Media (AWiM) Graduate Trainee Program 2022 are now open. They are looking for four women who have recently graduated from a media-related course within the last two years to be part of their Graduate Trainee Program.
As an AWiM Media Graduate Trainee, you will experience a challenging 8-month development program taking you through a comprehensive rotation of critical divisions of the work at AWiM.
Your time on the AWiM Media Graduate Trainee Program will therefore consist of two focal areas:
- You will get editorial coaching to produce gender angle stories and develop stories for bylines on AWiMNews.
- You will spend two months each in four critical areas of the work at AWiM. This will provide you with transferable skills to help you succeed in an organisation.
- Embarking on an 8-month development program designed to accelerate you through an increasingly steep learning curve.
- Participating in a rotational scheme that introduces you to some of our essential functions and colleagues.
- Taking on real responsibilities to apply new skills in a supportive environment.
- Participating in a mentorship program delivered by experienced professionals.
- A monthly stipend of $450
- Developing your journalistic skills, researching and writing
- A chance to get training in different sections of AWiM
- Networking opportunities
- Opportunity to learn and grow your community engagement skills in an upcoming respected brand called AWiM
- Opportunity to work remotely
- A chance to enrich your knowledge on media issues related to women in the industry
- Professional teaching and mentoring by industry professionals
- Access to AWiMlearning platform, which hosts a range of courses
Open to women at the start of their career, who are below 26 years of age and have:
- A passion for journalism, adaptability, resilience, good judgement
- A degree or postgraduate qualification
- Good grasp of the English language, including idioms and current trends in slang and expressions
- Ability to work independently with little or no daily supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and willingness to communicate with colleagues, and management
- Ability to work on multiple projects with different objectives simultaneously
- Good time management skills, including prioritising, scheduling, and adapting as necessary
- Proficiency with computers, especially writing programs, such as Google Docs and Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- A passion for understanding the world and getting to the facts
- Original and creative ideas for ways to reach new audiences
- Ability to regularly read, watch and listen to news across all platforms
Candidates who meet the above requirements should send in a folder of all documents listed below to [email protected] (Use the subject line ‘Graduate Trainee’) no later than April 5, 2022. The interview date will be April 18, 2022.
- Cover letter, no more than two pages, articulating
- Why media women capacity building is essential for gender equality in the media industry across Africa
- What interests you about this graduate trainee program?
- What you bring to and hope to gain from AWiM Media Graduate Trainee Program.
- What professional skills would you like to add to your toolbox in the months and years to come to grow in your career field?
- Copy of academic transcript
- Copy of your degree and/or postgraduate certificate
- Proof of age
For more information, visit AWiM.