Deadline: March 31, 2022
Applications are open for the Fulbright Romania Reporting Complexity 2022 – A Study Tour in the U.S. for Journalists from Central and Eastern Europe.
The Romanian-U.S. Fulbright Commission together with Fulbright Commissions based in Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Slovak Republic invites practicing journalists to apply for a two-week study visit in the U.S. aimed at building skills, knowledge and awareness related to reporting on complex issues. The visit will be organized in October 2022 (tentative dates: October 15-October 29, 2022)
- To acquaint participants with the scope of explanatory journalism in the U.S., offering tools and strategies for developing such stories in a fact-based, ethical way;
- To learn about and discuss issues related to countering disinformation, oversimplification, and ethical concerns surrounding complex topics (such as public health issues, climate change, economics, legislation, voting technology, etc.);
- To reflect upon relevant U.S. best practices and have the chance to work with counterparts in U.S. institutions to hone skills for evidence-based quality journalism;
- To encounter relevant knowledge from other disciplines about how users absorb complex subjects and to experiment with different ways of delivering critical background knowledge;
- To discuss current challenges in the media landscape and become familiar with the latest developments in the field through meetings with acknowledged journalists and representatives of media companies.
- The program is offered free of charge and with the following costs covered by the organizers: insurance, visa costs, flights to/from the U.S. and local travel in the U.S., hotels, meals and incidental expenses while in the U.S.
- Participants are required to cover local transportation costs in their own countries if necessary, personal expenses and miscellaneous.
- Practicing journalists with a minimum of one year of professional journalism experience in any type of media (print, broadcast or digital).
- Journalists from Romania, Albania, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Kosovo, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Republic of North Macedonia, Serbia, and Slovak Republic are eligible to apply.
- Applicants with English command at a minimum B2 level can apply.
- Applicants with strong professional background in the field, demonstrated through recent work samples (in English or local language).
- All else being equal, preference is given to journalists focusing on science reporting, public health, economics and other data-heavy fields.
The application deadline is March 31, 2022 (23:59 EEST- Eastern European Summer Time)
For more information, visit Fulbright Romania.