Peter K. Jansen Memorial Travel Fellowship 2022 (up to $1,000)
Deadline: April 19, 2022
Applications for the Peter K. Jansen Memorial Travel Fellowship 2022 are now open. Established in 2016, the annual Peter K. Jansen Memorial Travel Fellowship is preferentially awarded to an emerging translator of color or a translator working from an underrepresented diaspora or stateless language.
Peter K. Jansen (1934-2007) was an eminent scholar and translator of 19th- and 20th-century German literature, and a University of Chicago Professor Emeritus. His remarkable contribution to German literary studies in English both as a scholar and a translator includes three plays by the Austrian writer Thomas Bernhard. Though Jansen retired from the University in 1999, he continued his work as an active translator of German and Austrian literature, and become involved in shaping some of the activities of the Goethe Institute of Chicago.
- The $1,000 fellowship will help cover the costs of airfare, hotel, and travel to the annual ALTA conference.
- Open to emerging translator of color or a translator working from an underrepresented diaspora or stateless language.
- They strive for inclusivity and diversity in their applicants. They welcome applicants of all backgrounds, regardless of ethnicity, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, ability status, educational level or professional experience, including those with prior training or experience in non-literary translation; those who are speakers of Indigenous languages; and those who are heritage speakers of languages other than English.
Applications must be submitted through the online form. Applicants for the Jansen Fellowship should apply using the ALTA Travel Fellowship application, and check the Jansen Fellowship eligibility box in the application form.
Applicant must submit:
- a cover letter explaining your interest in attending the conference
- current CV / resumé
- up to 10 pages of translated work (poetry or prose, double spaced)
- the corresponding original language text
For more information, visit Jansen Fellowship.