Deadline: April 15, 2022
Applications are open for the East West Center Changing Faces Women’s Leadership Seminar 2022. This 12-day immersive, leadership and professional development seminar is designed for innovative women entrepreneurs from Asia, the Pacific, and the United States to enhance their leadership skills and entrepreneurial capacity; experientially explore innovative entrepreneurship, leadership, and community examples; build a sense of self-efficacy; and expand national and regional networks.
The Changing Faces Seminar seeks to:
- Enhance the entrepreneurial capacity and leadership skills of innovative women through facilitated training exercises, workshops, meetings; and community site visits;
- Implement a year-long project for the betterment of a participant’s business or community by means of a concrete Action Plan;
- Expand the social capital of participants and establish a community of women leaders via networking opportunities and on-going social media contact with speakers, trainers, Changing Faces alumni, the local community, and one another;
- Create regional awareness among participants through reciprocal learning and exposure to new ideas and divergent perspectives;
- Empower the next generation of women leaders in Hawaii by way of a service project undertaken in partnership with the Sacred Hearts Academy.
The Changing Faces Women’s Leadership Seminar is funded by the East-West Center, the Fish Family Foundation, and others. Funding supports the participation of six to eight women from the United States and the Asia Pacific region. A full scholarship is estimated at USD$2,985/per participant and includes the following programmatic costs:
- Interisland airfare from Oahu to Hawaii Island
- Ground transportation and airport transfers throughout the 2022 program
- Lodging on Oahu and Hawaii Island for 12 days of the 2022 program
- Program meals and a modest per diem to cover meals not provided throughout the 2022 program
- Pro-rated speaker honorariums and training workshops
- Individually tailored host mentorship
- Cultural activities and networking opportunities
- Participant resource materials
- Experienced facilitators with knowledge of regional and women’s leadership issues
All Changing Faces Women are responsible for their own roundtrip airfare to and from Honolulu, visa related expenses, health insurance, baggage fees, and vaccination costs. Given the limited number of scholarships available, the Center strongly encourages additional participant cost-sharing of programmatic costs and considers cost-sharing as evidence of an applicant’s commitment to self-growth, a desire to scale one’s business, and to the objectives of the Seminar. It is an important consideration of the Selection Committee.
- Open to female business owners and social entrepreneurs who have demonstrated leadership and ability to affect change and influence others in their communities.
- Innovative entrepreneurs, business managers, government and industry policymakers, and civil society leaders with at least seven years of work experience and who play a leadership role in their community are eligible to apply. Innovators may generally be defined as those who have created an original idea or product or are recognized for their ability to improve upon an original idea or system.
- Eligible countries include the United States and Afghanistan, Australia, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, East Timor, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kiribati, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, New Zealand, Niue, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Tonga, and Vietnam. Women from Hawaii and Oceania are particularly encouraged to apply!
- Applicants must have the ability to communicate in English in a professional setting. Preference is given to candidates with limited opportunities for international exchange and professional development as well as those who offer to cost-share programmatic costs.
Applicants must submit all of the following to be considered:
- Completed online Changing Faces Seminar Application Form
- Letter of Interest (maximum three pages) including:
- A brief description of your company/organization and your role
- What you expect to contribute and gain from participating in Changing Faces
- Concrete example(s) of your professional leadership and innovation, as defined above
- Demonstrated potential for impact within your community
- Identify an actionable goal for either your organization or community that you wish to work on and outline the role you can or would like to play in achieving that goal. *NOTE* This will serve as the basis of your Action Plan for the coming year. For more information about the Action Plan, click here.
- Resume/CV (maximum two pages)
- Two Professional Letters of Recommendation describing your suitability for the Seminar. The letters should be signed and on letterhead.
A phone interview may be conducted with finalists.
For more information, visit East West Center.