Chatham House Common Futures Conversations 2022: Join the Community
Deadline: May 2, 2022
Are you tired of feeling disconnected from politics? Do you want to share your views on the major issues shaping our world? If so, apply to the Chatham House Common Futures Conversations 2022. Common Futures is an online community of young people from Africa and Europe who want to make government better. Join to get your voice heard.
Young people are often not trusted as leaders or seen as experts in their own right. In response, Chatham House is building a diverse community of young people from across Africa and Europe to join an international exchange with policymakers.
Common Futures Conversations (CFC) is a flagship initiative that strives to create a community of young African and European community leaders and involve them and their ideas in major policy discussions. The online platform was created with a network of 27 young people from 13 countries, and builds on the youth survey they conducted in January 2019. It was developed by Chatham House and made possible by the Robert Bosch Stiftung.
The platform will help you to develop your ideas on key global challenges like climate change, conflict or inequality. You will engage with experts, discuss your own experiences, network with other community leaders from across the continents, and share your ideas with high-level decision makers.
Throughout the year, our community discusses specific challenges facing Africa and Europe aimed at developing solutions which are presented during a webinar with senior decision makers or politicians.
Joining Common Futures gives you access to great career-building benefits:
- Contribute to articles and podcasts published on our website;
- Take part in our events;
- Learn about international affairs careers from Chatham House experts;
- Meet other young people from Africa and Europe who are interested in international affairs;
- Get your ideas heard by key people in African and European governments;
- Develop your writing, speaking and research skills.
To apply for Common Futures you must:
- Be aged between 18 and 30 years old;
- Be based in a European or African country;
- Be Interested in developing real solutions to global challenges like climate change, inequality and security.
- Have good working knowledge of English;
- Be passionate, engaged and active in your local community.
You do not have to have a degree or set experience to apply. They want to hear how you would help build a better world.
How it works
Members will participate in challenges which are month-long dialogues on specific topics which allow participants to engage with Chatham House research, develop their own ideas and share those ideas with policymakers and politicians. A time commitment of 1-2 hours per week during challenges is recommended to ensure you get the most out of being member.
This will consist of:
- Participating in discussions on the platform
- Attending webinars approximately twice a month during challenge periods
- Taking part in discussions with other members at events
- Developing ideas and supporting other members by giving feedback on their ideas
You may also be invited to other, optional events and opportunities, outside of the challenges.
You will be notified via email of the outcome of your application. It can take up to 6 weeks from the closing date for us to contact you.
For more information, visit Chatham House CFC.