AFS Global STEM Accelerators 2022 Exchange Program for Young Women (Fully-funded)
Deadline: May 15, 2022
The AFS Intercultural Programs is proud to launch the AFS Global STEM Accelerators. This is a full-scholarship, virtual exchange program designed to empower 150 young women worldwide with access to education in sustainability, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math), and social impact.
Applications are open to young women (ages 15-17.5) worldwide, with a keen interest in becoming changemakers in their communities. In addition, AFS will allocate scholarships specifically to refugees and girls from displaced populations worldwide.
Through immersive learning experiences, AFS Global STEM Accelerators scholars will develop critical technical competencies, like digital skills, design thinking, and data literacy, paired with global competencies, such as emotional intelligence, intercultural awareness, and teamwork – valuable skills that are increasingly necessary in the global economy and vital to contribute to a sustainable future.
About the Program and Scholarship
Scholarship winners will participate in 12 week all-virtual programs focusing on emerging and critical STEM skills and fields, global competence education, and social impact (co-developed with the University of Pennsylvania). Scholars will enrich their STEM knowledge and skills through interactive, hands-on curriculum, while developing critical global competencies, including problem-solving, analytical skills, intercultural understanding, and the ability to build bridges across cultures.
The program culminates with team projects and presentations that offer potential solutions to real-world challenges, with an emphasis on climate change and the energy transition. Scholars who complete the program earn the Advanced Certificate on Global Competence for Social Impact, awarded by AFS and the University of Pennsylvania Center for Social Impact Strategy.
The program runs online from June 23 – September 18, 2022.
- Over the course of twelve weeks, scholars will develop social impact prototypes and capstone presentations that offer potential solutions to real-world challenges, with an emphasis on sustainability.
- Upon completion, scholars earn the Advanced Certificate on Global Competence for Social Impact, awarded by AFS and the University of Pennsylvania, along with official feedback and validation from Penn’s Center for Social Impact Strategy.
- In addition, scholars will be invited to join AFS’ global alumni community, which offers diverse mentoring opportunities and networking resources.
- Open to Girls worldwide
- Applicants must be between ages 15 – 17.5.
- Must be comfortable enough in English fluency to participate in online forum responses and live facilitated dialogue sessions via Zoom.
- Interested in STEM, sustainability, and global competencies
- Have curiosity and willingness to interact with diverse global peers and explore new cultures
- Have access to a computer, smartphone or other digital device to access the virtual program content*, an integrated webcam and microphone for participation in online dialogue sessions* and a stable internet or wifi connection*
- *if internet or technology accessibility is an issue, AFS may be able to help.
- Talented young women from all backgrounds who reflect the diversity of populations around the world, particularly underrepresented populations, and students with high financial need, are strongly encouraged to apply!
For more information, visit AFS Global.