Deadline: May 27, 2022
Applications are open for the ICFJ Roles and Responsibilities of Media in a Democracy Program 2022. Ethiopian journalists who want to sharpen their skills in investigative journalism, newsgathering, media entrepreneurship, mobile journalism and more have the opportunity to learn from leading experts through a new program from the International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) and supported by the U.S. Department of State and U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa.
The Roles and Responsibilities of Media in a Democracy Program offers Ethiopian journalists working in state or private media needs-based and focused trainings, in order to improve the quality of information available to the Ethiopian public. Participants will be encouraged to explore interactive, creative approaches to gain hands-on practice in writing and producing non-biased content across media platforms.
Participants in this program will have the chance to learn from expert trainers in four key thematic areas:
- Ethical newsgathering and reporting practices
- Investigative journalism
- Media entrepreneurship and the business of journalism
- Mobile journalism
The program will accept up to 320 media professionals, and consists of two primary phases:
- An eight-week online training series: Training sessions will last two hours per session and occur two times per week. Each participant will attend one training session aligning with their interests and will have the opportunity to be selected for the in-person training event in Addis Ababa.
- An in-person training event in Addis Ababa for up to 50 of the best performing participants from the virtual training series. This event will consist of four training sessions over three days. (If it is determined that they cannot hold the event in person, ICFJ will implement this event online.)
- Open to Ethiopian journalists working in both state and private media outlets, or media professionals who seek to expand their journalistic skills to further democratic values.
- May 27, 2022: Application deadline
- June 1, 2022: Participant selection completed
- June 6, 2022: Training sessions begin online
- August 12, 2022: In-person participant selection completed
- August 22-24: Three-day in-person training in Addis Ababa
For more information, visit ICFJ.