Deadline: June 3, 2022
Applications are invited for the Pulitzer Center Rainforest Journalism Fund Internship 2022. The Pulitzer Center is seeking a remote intern for the Rainforest Journalism Fund (RJF) initiative, which enables strong, independent journalism on issues related to tropical rainforests.
The intern will support the mission of the RJF by participating in publishing, communications, and research activities, working with the RJF manager (based in Bangkok) and regional coordinators (based in Brazil, Indonesia, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo). The intern’s responsibilities will primarily involve the Rainforest Journalism Fund, but there will be opportunities to learn from and collaborate across Pulitzer Center teams.
Website and communications
- Website management: Support the RJF communications lead to maintain the RJF website. The intern will update the website from the backend and be the point-person to build RJF posts for the RJF and Pulitzer Center websites.
- Blogs and resources: Coordinate or (co)author blog posts on RJF events, content and resource summaries for the RJF website.
- Social Media: Support the RJF and Pulitzer Center’s team in preparing content or posts for social media (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) to promote RJF projects, opportunities, and resources.
- Newsletter: Support the RJF and Pulitzer Center teams in developing a newsletter and other resources (assessing survey results, identifying target audiences, working on templates and plans).
Research and content mapping
- Media Landscape Mapping: Support coordination and updates of RJF media landscape mapping. The intern would assist the RJF and Pulitzer Center in compiling / advancing / updating research on media landscapes in RJF’s main target regions (Amazon, Congo Basin and Southeast Asia) and globally
- Content mapping: Co-lead the maintenance of RJF and rainforest-related story mapping. The intern would work as a team to update and assess content theme and topic of RJF-supported stories
- Support RJF team to prepare tip sheets or resources for RJF promotion activities.
- Publishing of RJF stories: Together with RJF’s communication lead, coordinate review of RJF-supported stories and edit based on Pulitzer Center’s editorial and website guidelines
- Translation Support: Work with RJF manager to compile and translate RJF stories and website materials.
Event and outreach
- Event coordination: Support RJF manager and team in coordinating in-person or virtual events (outreach, workshops, webinars). Working as a team, support in developing plans, managing logistics, and implementing events/sessions.
- Event documentation: The intern can create event announcements, document events and interview participants to highlight events/sessions.
- Interns will receive a $2,600 monthly stipend.
- Applicant should have a degree in journalism, environment, international development or related disciplines;
- Professional/written proficiency in one of the RJF languages (Spanish, Portuguese, French, Bahasa Indonesia);
- Strong writing and communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Experience conducting research in multiple languages (either proficiency or with translation software);
- Demonstrated interest/experience in working across time zones, geographies, and cultures;
- Demonstrated interest/experience in environmental journalism and/or related social or biological sciences.
Applications require a CV/résumé, contact information for two references, two work samples, and a statement of interest (max. 500 words). Applications will be reviewed and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis, giving an advantage to early applicants.
For more information, visit Pulitzer Center.