MJ Bear Fellowship 2022 for Digital Journalists
Deadline: July 14, 2022
Applications are open for the Online News Association MJ Bear Fellowship 2022. The MJ Bear Fellowship identifies and supports digital journalists under 30 whose work represents the best of digital news.
The one-year fellowship is designed to provide support and guidance to early-career journalists on a digital journalism project, as well as their own professional development. Themes for projects may include audience and social engagement, product development, and digital or business strategy.
The fellowship provides:
- Free registration to ONA’s annual conference. Fellows get free registration at digital journalism’s largest event and opportunities to network and share their work. The fellowship covers registration, hotel and flights for ONA22, Sept 21-24.
- Three tailored coaching sessions. Based on the projects that fellows are working on and the skills they are looking to build, ONA works with industry leaders to design custom coaching sessions for the group. Past sessions have covered topics such as pitching projects, career advancement in a changing world, audience engagement, marketing and entrepreneurship.
- ONA membership, with three year’s dues paid in full.
- Additional opportunities to showcase work and expertise. During their fellowship year, fellows share insights from their projects and career journeys to ONA’s community. These insights become evergreen resources for the digital journalism community.
- Open to working journalists under 30 who are leading a digital journalism project.
- Applicants in 2022 must be born between June 26, 1992 and June 25, 1999.
- Applicants can be working either for a company or organization or be self-employed.
- ONA encourages freelancers and journalists from diverse backgrounds to apply.
- Full-time students are not eligible for this fellowship.
To apply, you’ll need to have the following ready:
- Your resumé / CV
- A photo of yourself
- A link to the project that you’d like them to consider that is ongoing or started after January 1, 2021
- The contact email from an employer, instructor or technology partner who is not a personal friend or family member and is familiarized with your project. This person will be asked to complete a short reference form on your behalf.
You must have all of your application materials ready before beginning. You will not be able to save your application and return at a later time.
For more information, visit MJ Bear Fellowship.