HH&S Blue Sky Scriptwriting Contest 2022 (up to $7,500)
Deadline: August 1, 2022
Applications are open for the HH&S Blue Sky Scriptwriting Contest 2022. Hollywood, Health & Society (HH&S) is looking for stories that take place in a future we would actually aspire to live and thrive in. Instead of the standard dystopian hellscape, think environmental sustainability, a fair and equitable social system, and a world without war.
In partnership with the Future of Life Institute and the Writers Guild of America East, HH&S are offering fellowship grants for television scripts whose storylines focus on a world set between 2045 to 2100 when we achieve lives that reflect our better selves. It may be hard to envision and it will take a global effort, but the research, innovations, policies and grassroots efforts already exist to accomplish this critical undertaking. This isn’t an unrealistic utopia, and since humans are involved there will be plenty of drama and comedy to go around.
- HH&S will award five $7,500 fellowships.
- Open to scriptwriters in the U.S.
- The writing must reflect themes of racial equity, climate change mitigation or adaptation, advancements toward peace, and incorporating the beneficial use of artificial intelligence (A.I.).
- Most genres accepted: Drama (medical, police procedural/detective, legal, political, crime/mystery, action/adventure, sci-fi); comedy (sitcom, dramedy, satire); children’s, young adult or family (exceptions: no dystopian, horror or fantasy/supernatural)
- Story must be set in a U.S. between 2045 and 2100 which has achieved significant milestones in racial equity, climate change mitigation and/or adaptation, and the abolishment of war. The script must address how these milestones were achieved, using real world data, social and scientific projections, and developments (Note: The show doesn’t need to be about these issues, but viewers must learn how they were resolved or addressed at some point).
To enter, submit the following:
- 30- or 60-minute pilot episode script set in this Blue Sky world. It can be a comedy or a drama.
- Logline (one sentence description of story and premise)
- Brief treatment (with key characters and how the premise unfolds over a few episodes)
For more information, visit Blue Sky Scriptwriting Contest.