OYA Black Arts Scale-Up Business Bootcamp Programme 2022-2023 [Canada Only]
Deadline: September 9, 2022
Applications are invited for the OYA Black Arts Scale-Up Business Bootcamp Programme 2022-2023. The Scale Up Business Bootcamp is a three-month Business Affairs intensive programme that provides at least 10 Black-owned film, television or digital media production companies (a total of 30 over three years) with a transformative opportunity to scale-up through in-depth Business focused workshops, mentoring and networking opportunities. Program partners include WIFT-Toronto, Bizable Media, Black Women Film! Canada, RBC, and I.M.P.A.C.T
The objective of this bootcamp is to increase each business’s value proposition to broadcasters, distributors, and venture capitalists, and to take advantage of our federal and provincial tax credits systems, and other major funding and revenue generating sources.
Scale Up Business Bootcamp will take place across three months in October to December 2022. OBAC will select a minimum of 10 mid-career producers who will develop their business producing skills and industry knowledge through online development workshops, masterclasses and mentoring sessions.
- There is no cost to participate in the programme.
- Open to Southern Ontario-based Black-owned production companies who have 1-2 projects in development.
- Applicants must have produced:
- At least one completed project (any genre) that has been selected at an applicable film festival or that has been broadcast traditionally or online.
- Self-identify as Black, a mid-career producer and be over the age of 18
- Be incorporated or ready to incorporate once being selected for the programme (company must be a registered business in Canada).
- Production company at least 51% Black-owned.
- Be available for ALL workshop dates:
- Weekly – Wednesday & Fridays, 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM
- Weekend – Two (2) 1/2 day sessions (Exact Dates to be determined)
If your application is eligible, an assessor will review your application, taking into account the following criteria:
- The strengths of the applicant.
- Including (but not limited to): demonstrable passion for the industry; previous knowledge and experience; how the participant meets the aims of the course.
- The likely career progression benefit for the applicant.
- How the course content matches the applicant’s current career and company goals.
Fill out the application form which will include the following components:
- LETTER OF INTENT: Describe your short-term and long-term company goals. Why are you pursuing this program at this point in your career? Describe your producing and/or company experiences and identify what areas you hope to develop through the programme. Outline your educational and professional development goals. (Max. 1-2 pages)
- Resume / CV including education and professional work experience (Max. 2 pages)
- Personal Bio (Max. 300 words)
- One Letter of Recommendation from an industry professional (Max 2 pages)
- Short treatment of a project your company has in development (company must hold the copyright) (Max 5 pages)
Submit your files in PDF format and name according to the order listed below, using this template: CompanyName-ScaleUpBiz2022–Description of File.PDF (e.g. AlexTalentStudios-ScaleUpBiz2022– Bio.PDF)
For more information, visit Scale-Up Business Bootcamp.