Emerging Health Technologies Media Award of Excellence 2022 ($5,000 grand prize)
Deadline: October 31, 2022
Applications for the Emerging Health Technologies Media Award of Excellence 2022 are now open. The Emerging Health Technologies Media Award is an annual recognition of journalists who have contributed to emerging health technology (EHT) reporting by publishing and producing stories on the subject.
The objectives of the EHTs Media Award are to promote reporting of the emerging health technologies being developed for use in Africa, as well as to raise public awareness, understanding, participation, and local ownership of these technologies. The emerging health technologies for consideration include, but are not limited to, gene drives for malaria control and elimination; drones for improved health; artificial intelligence; and microgrids for healthcare.
The categories are as follows:
- Print journalism: Feature/article between 700 and 1,500 words published in a newspaper, magazine, journal or newsletter.
- Radio journalism: Documentary or discussion programme between 5 and 45 minutes.
- Television journalism: Documentary or discussion programme between 5 and 45 minutes.
- Online/new media: Feature/article between 700 and 1,500 words published in an online version of a mainstream newspaper, magazine, journal or a personal website. Audio/visual documentary or discussion programme between 5 and 45 minutes.
- EHTs Media Award Grand Prize: $5,000
- EHTs Media Award Print Category: $2,500; Runner-up $1, 000
- EHTs Media Award Radio Category: $2,500; Runner-up $1,000
- EHTs Media Award Television Category: $2,500; Runner-up $1,000
- EHTs Media Award Online Category: $2,500; Runner-up $1,000
- Open to published and broadcasted works in print, radio, television, and online media.
- Only African journalists are eligible for the competition.
- The competition is open to individual journalists and not media institutions or organisations.
- The period of publication/broadcast of entries is from October 1, 2021 to October 31, 2022.
- The entries should address EHT development issues relevant to Africa, such as ongoing research, regulatory frameworks, community participation, public awareness and understanding, involvement of African scientists, equity and benefit sharing. The issues may be applicable to one African country or be regional in scope.
- All entries are required to be in English or French. Stories done in local languages should be translated, and the original language indicated.
- Journalists are encouraged to submit entries by sharing link to the published article/programme, as well as a PDF attachment (for print media). URL should be from a credible media platform.
- If an entry is not accessible online, scanned articles or copies of the TV or radio files should be submitted.
- Submitted files should not exceed 15MB.
- Entries should be submitted to the AFIDEP secretariat at [email protected], copying [email protected] and [email protected] Note that communication with the organisers is in English.
For more information, visit EHT Media Award.