IAMAT-Robert Haru Fisher Travel Medicine Scholarship 2023 (Funded)
Deadline: October 24, 2022
Applications are open for the IAMAT-Robert Haru Fisher Travel Medicine Scholarship 2023. This is one of two scholarships awarded to a doctor or nurse living and working in an African country, outside of South Africa. Preference will be given to practitioners with knowledge in travel medicine and the capacity to expand the practice in their country.
The scholar attends a 5-day travel medicine course offered by SASTM in association with the University of the Witwatersrand and participates in clinical observations for 3 days at the Travel Doctor clinic in Johannesburg. The intensive course looks at all aspects of travel medicine, including patient-centered care, pre- and post-travel health protocols, and case studies. Prior to the course, the scholars are expected to study the provided educational materials in order to facilitate participation in the course. The scholars must write 2 exams (at the beginning and end of the course) and submit a travel medicine project. A Certificate of Competence will be issued by the University of the Witwatersrand upon successful completion.
The successful scholar will be sponsored by the Robert Haru Fisher Travel Medicine Scholarship. The scholarship is administered on behalf of the International Association for Medical Assistance to Travellers (IAMAT) by the South African Society of Travel Medicine (SASTM). SASTM’s mission is to guide the profession in all aspects relating to the practice of travel medicine, including training and accrediting travel health professionals.
- IAMAT pays for the tuition, educational materials, local transportation, and accommodations.
- The recipient is responsible for transportation to South Africa and any additional miscellaneous costs. Upon successful completion of the course, IAMAT will reimburse the scholar for the airfare (economy class).
- Open to a doctor or nurse living and working in a country in Africa where travel medicine is an emerging specialty, outside of South Africa;
- Knowledge in travel medicine;
- Capacity to expand travel medicine in the workplace and region/country;
- Proven excellent English writing and speaking proficiency.
- Completed application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Current certificate of medical or nursing registration
- An essay of approximately 500 words explaining the following:
- Your interest in travel medicine.
- How you plan to expand the field of travel medicine in your country or region.
- How the scholarship can assist you to achieve your professional goals.
For more information, visit Travel Medicine Scholarship.