Deadline: November 1, 2022
Applications are open for the Women Writing Women’s Lives Kathy Chamberlain Research Awards 2023. Women Writing Women’s Lives (WWWL), a women’s group dedicated to the writing of women’s lives, is pleased to offer five research awards to women who are furthering the group’s mission.
The awards are funded by a generous gift from Edith Penty, a veteran activist in the civil rights and women’s movement, who wished to express her gratitude for the work of WWWL and to honor Kathy Chamberlain. A long-time WWWL member and author of Jane Welsh Carlyle and Her Victorian World, Kathy Chamberlain served as WWWL steering committee chair for ten years.
Each recipient will be awarded five hundred dollars ($500) to help defray expenses incurred while working on a memoir or biography of a woman, in print or other media, such as film, podcast, bibliography, database, or website. Awardees will also receive a one-year membership in WWWL (including dues). Awards must be used between February 1, 2023 and February 1, 2024.
Awards may be used to fund:
- Travel to archives or relevant research locations
- Copying or digitizing materials
- Purchase of books for research
- Computers, software, or other technology needed for the project
- Open to women who are current masters and doctoral students; adjunct and/or unaffiliated scholars who received their PhD in the last six years; assistant professors working towards tenure; and independent researchers.
- WWWL members are not eligible.
To apply, send an email to [email protected] with the subject line “Chamberlain Award Application.” Attach the application, which consists of one PDF document. The document must include the four items below. Name the document with your last name, first name [LAST NAME, FIRST NAME].
- Contact Information: Your name, telephone number, permanent address and e-mail, current employer or academic affiliation, and title of project.
- Proposal: A 500-word proposal describing the project and how it advances the WWWL mission.
- Budget: List how the funds will be used.
- Curriculum Vitae: Provide a 1-page Curriculum Vitae.
For more information, visit Kathy Chamberlain Research Awards.