Deadline: November 5, 2022
Applications are open for the Algerian Youth Leadership Programme 2023. The Youth Leadership Programme with Algeria is a leadership development opportunity for Algerian and American youth, ages 15-17. This cultural and academic exchange will take place in Reno, Nevada and Washington, DC from July 10-August 2, 2023, with an orientation in Algiers from July 7-9, 2023.
The programme will employ an interactive approach both in workshops and in a range of public and community settings. Through engagement in the activities, youth and adult participants will better understand civic participation, the rights and responsibilities of citizens in a democracy and the role that social enterprises play in a community. The programme is highly academic and provides participants with the skills to complete a required post-program service project in their local communities.
The programme is comprised of an intensive training schedule that includes highly academic workshops, project planning, teambuilding activities and cultural components. After the completion of the U.S. based programme, participants are required to complete a post-programme service project in their local communities.
This programme includes the following for all youth and adult participants:
- Transportation to and from the in-person interview the U. S. Embassy in Algiers.
- All programme transportation (transportation to and from the pre-departure orientation in Algiers, flights to and from Algeria, all transportation in the U.S.).
- All food (three meals and day and snacks) and lodging in the U.S. and Algeria as part of the program (from the pre-departure orientation to your return to Algeria)
- Admission to all cultural visits.
- Participant insurance – the cost of any non-pre-existing medical emergency while in the U.S.
Youth who are eligible to apply are those who:
- Are a legal citizen of Algeria;
- Will be either 15, 16 or 17 years of age on July 7, 2023;
- Have demonstrated English skills, sufficient for understanding academic discussion and everyday social interactions;
- Have at least one year of high school remaining after the programme. If you are selected as a semifinalist, you will be required to submit an original high school transcript and a school certificate to verify that you have at least one year of high school remaining. They will also contact your school to verify your enrollment status, so be sure to provide current contact information for your school;
- Have demonstrated leadership in their schools and/or communities;
- Have interest in the programme themes of social entrepreneurship, leadership and project development and would like to participate in academic classes and do work to develop in these areas;
- Have permission from their parent(s) or legal guardian to participate in the entire programme;
- Do not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement, or the U.S. Department of State;
- Have not traveled to the United States on a Department of State exchange programme within the last three years.
The application consists of two (2) parts: an online Written Application and an online video interview. Note that only those who submit complete Written Applications will continue to the video interview portion of the application. All parts of the application must be completed entirely in English.
The information you provide in the written and video portions of the application will be used to select semifinalists for this programme. Read all instructions and answer all questions carefully and completely. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Follow these steps to complete the online written application by 11:59 pm (GMT +1) on November 5, 2022
- Print, complete and scan the following documents. These must be uploaded to your online application:
- Letters of recommendation: two (2) typed and hand-signed letters of recommendation, written in English on the letter of recommendation template.
- Signature page: One (1) hand-signed 2023 Algerian Leadership Programme youth participant signature page.
- See the sample signature page
- Note: Both you and your father or legal guardian must hand sign this form. Names typed on a computer will not be accepted. By signing the 2023 Youth Leadership Programme with Algeria Signature Page, you are certifying that all of the information on your application is true and correct. If there is any false information in your application, you will be disqualified from the program and will not be eligible for any Department of State or U.S. Embassy exchanges/programmes in the future.
- Complete the personal information and essay questions asked on the online application, upload the two required letters of recommendation and the signature page, and submit your application by 11:59 pm (GMT +1) on November 5, 2022. Note: You can access the application to view the information required multiple times, but once you begin to fill out the form, you cannot save your answers to go back later. Therefore, you must complete and scan the two (2) Letters of Recommendation and the Signature Page before filling out the application.
For more information, visit Algerian Youth Leadership Programme.