Deadline: January 31, 2023
Applications are open for the American University Washington College of Law Human Rights Essay Award 2023. The Human Rights Essay Award is an annual competition sponsored by the Academy that seeks to stimulate the production of scholarly work in international human rights law.
Winning essays -in English and in Spanish- will published in The American University International Law Review (AUILR). The AUILR is an important journal with relevant academic material, which receives approximately 1,500 submissions annually and publishes a wide range of legal scholarship from professors, judges, practicing lawyers, and renowned legal thinkers.
The Academy will award six awards, three for each language as follows:
- Award for Best Essay in English and Spanish
- Honorable Mention for Second Best Essay in English and Spanish
- Honorable Mention for Third Best Essay in English and Spanish
The winners will receive a certificate that accredits them as such and that can be presented to any organization or educational institution if the recipient considers it important. The Award will be the publication of the essays in The American University International Law Review (AUILR) if publishing standards are met.
- Open to all lawyers around the world regardless of their nationality.
- Only participants with a law degree Juris Doctor, (J.D.), Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) or equivalent by the submission due date are eligible to enter the competition.
- Shall have a demonstrated experience or interest in international human rights law.
- Have the flexibility to choose any subject related to the Topic 2023: “Equality and Human Rights: Confronting Racial Discrimination”.
- Shall remember the essay must be an academic article with proper citations.
- No longer than 35 pages
- Essay text is size 12, Times New Roman font, double-spaced
- Footnotes are size 10, Times New Roman font, single-spaced
- 1 inch (2.54cm) margins all around
- Page is size letter (8.5 x 11 inches/21.59 x 27.94 cm)
- There is no information identifying the author in the essay
Each applicant must include a curriculum vitae (CV)/resume of no more than three pages in length explaining their experience or interest in human rights issues. Submit the CV as a separate file from your essay.
The deadline to submit all essays is January 31, 2023 at 11:59 PM (EST).
For more information, visit Human Rights Essay Award.