Deadline: December 4, 2022
Applications are open for the Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Fellowship on Entrepreneurship 2023-2024. The Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Fellowship on Entrepreneurship gives African students and recent graduates the opportunity to access training, resources, financial support and a network of mentors to develop their entrepreneurial skills and start building their own venture.
The 8-month programme develops the exceptional entrepreneurial skillset and mindset of leaders to drive social and financial impact. The Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Fellowship gives you the confidence, resources, knowledge, network, and financial support to build a startup with an impact. For African students and recent grads with a desire to solve pressing problems and bring entrepreneurial ideas to life, the programme is split into three online courses where you will learn the foundations of entrepreneurship, receive virtual coaching, develop your own business idea, and demonstrate your commitment in order to advance to the next course.
- Business bootcamp delivered by Queen’s University faculty and industry leaders who bring decades of combined entrepreneurship and C-Suite experience
- The Disciplined Entrepreneurship framework, a proven step-by-step framework for scalable startups developed at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Pitch coaching and mastery
- Live workshops on marketing, goal setting, and recruiting are held throughout the programme
- Opportunity to earn micro-credentials on Entrepreneurship awarded by Queen’s University for successful completion the courses
Mentorship and Networking
- Liaise with mentors and speakers leading innovation and entrepreneurship in North America
- Access a Global Network of Queen’s entrepreneurial alumni
- Join a cohort of thousands of like-minded students and recent grads from across Africa
- Fellows are matched to industry leaders and entrepreneurs in the final phase of the programme
- Receive feedback at important startup milestones
Financial Support & Opportunities
- Up to 60 Fellows will be selected in the final phase to receive a stipend of $500 CAD
- Opportunities to pitch for prizes of up to $15,000 CAD in the pitch competition at the end of the program
- Opportunities to travel to the Dunin-Deshpande Queen’s Innovation Centre to build lasting connections that will help your further your business venture
- They are committed to eliminating barriers to entrepreneurship and making the programme inclusive to as many people as possible. They are constantly iterating and improving the courses in response to user needs.
- They accept students and recent graduates from all academic disciplines, and from any African post-secondary institution. Whether you are already working on a business or you are looking to start something new, they can help you.
- They are looking for participants who are committed to developing their entrepreneurial mindset and taking advantage of the resources provided to develop their own enterprise. The programme is delivered virtually and can be completed at any pace, however the most committed participants will commit at least 10 hours per week. In order to progress through the programme phases, participants will submit assignments online, adhering to strict deadlines.
- The programme content is delivered in English. Mentorship may be offered in English and French. Assignments and pitches must be completed in English. Prospective fellows who are unable to speak or write English are still encouraged to apply and form teams with someone who can fulfill all the requirements of the program in English. Prospective fellows may also work with their local university to come up with a strategy to make sure they are able to access university resources that will help them navigate the challenge related to language ability.
Applications are due December 4, 2022 at midnight your local time.
- Phase 1 – Explore Entrepreneurship January 2023 – February 2023
- Phase 2 – Ignite Entrepreneurship March 2023 – April 2023
- Phase 3 – Launch Entrepreneurship May 2023 – August 2023
For more information, visit Jim Leech Mastercard Foundation Fellowship.