ICFJ Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling 2023 ($5,000 cash prize)
Deadline: January 31, 2023
Applications are open for the ICFJ Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling 2023. The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ), the ONE Campaign, and the Elliott family are pleased to announce a call for entries for the Michael Elliott Award for Excellence in African Storytelling.
The award honors up-and-coming journalists in Africa who strive to strengthen people’s voices and illuminate the transformational change taking place on the continent. The award entries must represent groundbreaking journalistic work published between December 1, 2021, and December 1, 2022. Winners will be selected on the quality of their articles and the impact their work has had on communities. They welcome excellent submissions in all media, especially those that demonstrate analytical skills in addition to outstanding writing ability.
- The winners will receive a $5,000 cash prize and a personalized crystal award.
- The winners will have an opportunity to spend up to two weeks at The Economist headquarters in London, or to complete a tailored study tour of US newsrooms.
- Open to English-speaking journalists working in Africa for print, broadcast, and online news media. Applicants must have no more than 10 years of journalism experience.
- Applicants must submit one published piece that exemplifies Africa through thoughtful reporting and excellent storytelling. They are looking for impactful investigative or explanatory pieces, especially those illuminating transformational change in Africa.
- A copy of the published story or broadcast clip must be submitted in English. Works in other languages must include English translations. They welcome submissions from print, broadcast, or digital journalists. Multimedia submissions may include web, audio, video, visual, or mixed media.
- The submitted story must be published between December 1, 2021, and December 1, 2022.
A distinguished international jury including media leaders from the US, UK, and Africa will select the winners. They will reach out to all applicants to notify them of their status by the spring of 2023.
For more information, visit ICFJ Michael Elliott Award.