Deadline: January 19, 2023
Applications are open for the Sigma Awards 2023 for Data Journalism. Striding into its fourth year, the Sigma Awards celebrates the best data journalism from around the world. It’s also here to empower, elevate and enlighten the global community of data journalists.
The mission of the Sigma Awards is:
- To highlight the very best data journalism being done around the world;
- To build programmes and resources around the awards that enable people in and out of the data journalism community to learn from this work;
- To use the awards as a way to unite, galvanize and expand data journalism communities around the world.
- A US$5,000 cash prize will be split among winners.
- Winning participants will also be flown to Perugia, Italy to attend and take part in the International Journalism Festival 2023.
- Entries must be for work published in calendar year 2022 (between January 1, 2022 and December 31, 2022)
- Applicants can enter as many projects as they want.
- Entries have to specify if they qualify as a large or a small newsroom or as an individual, where applicable. Small newsrooms are defined as those with 35 or fewer journalists (including regular freelancers/contractors), or equivalent (eg, two half-time freelancers count as one person.)
- Organizations that do not qualify under this definition but who believe they belong in the small newsroom category may petition for an exception by sending a letter from the editor-in-chief explaining his or her rationale to Marianne Bouchart, Executive Director at [email protected].
- Collaborative work has to be entered as a large newsroom.
- Entering organizations grant The Sigma Awards the right to use their material in their entry, including the organization’s name and logo, on The Sigma Awards website and other marketing material around the awards.
- 2022 has been another special year for all members of the data journalism community, and we expect to receive a large number of entries tackling the COVID-19 pandemic or the Russia-Ukraine war. However, they would like to specify that all data journalism projects, regardless of their topics, can be entered into the competition.
- Register an account
- Start your entry (save it in-progress)
- Submit your entry to be judged
Entries have to be received by January 19, 2023 at 11:59pm ET, to qualify.
For more information, visit Sigma Awards.