Edward R. Murrow Press Fellowship 2023 for U.S. citizens (stipend of $100,000)
Deadline: March 1, 2023
Applications are open for the Edward R. Murrow Press Fellowship 2023. Launched in 1949, the Edward R. Murrow Press Fellowship seeks to promote the quality of responsible and discerning journalism exemplified by the work of Edward R. Murrow.
One Edward R. Murrow Press fellowship is awarded each year to a distinguished foreign correspondent or editor. The fellow spends ten months full time in residence at Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) headquarters in New York. The programme enables the fellow to engage in sustained analysis and writing, expand his or her intellectual and professional horizons, and participate in CFR’s active programme of meetings and events. The fellow is part of the David Rockefeller Studies Programme, CFR’s think tank, alongside the programme’s full-time, adjunct, and visiting fellows, whose expertise extends across the broad range of significant foreign policy issues facing the United States and the international community.
- The fellowship begins in September each year and lasts for ten months. The programme awards a stipend of $100,000 as well as a modest travel grant. The fellow is considered an independent contractor rather than an employee of CFR and is not eligible for employment benefits, including health insurance.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens.
- Applicants must have distinguished credentials in the field of journalism.
- Applicants must have covered international news as a working journalist for print, broadcast, or online media widely available in the United States.
Selection as a Murrow Fellow is based on the following criteria:
- professional experience as a foreign correspondent or editor
- firm grounding in foreign policy
- clear, creative, and original application statement
The selection process is highly competitive. The selection committee chooses one applicant each year for the fellowship.
Interested candidates who meet the programme’s eligibility requirements can apply online between January 1 and March 1, 2023 for the 2023–2024 fellowship cycle.
For more information, visit Edward R. Murrow Press Fellowship.