U.S. Embassy Tbilisi Democracy Commission Small Grants Programme 2023 (up to $50,000)
Deadline: February 20, 2023
Applications are open for the U.S. Embassy Tbilisi Democracy Commission Small Grants Programme 2023. The purpose of the Democracy Commission Small Grants Programme is to award grants for specific projects that support democracy, enhance the development of democratic institutions and foster education of civil society in Georgia.
Grants will be awarded to non-governmental, non-profit organizations, educational institutions, and media organizations based and registered in Georgia.
The United States initiated in 1994 as a flexible mechanism to enable embassies to support local democratic initiatives in the countries of Central, Eastern Europe, and the post-Soviet States. The implementing body at each mission is the Democracy Commission, chaired by the Deputy Chief of Mission and including the Public Affairs Officer, Cultural Affairs Officer, other members of the Country Team, and representatives of U.S. Government agencies.
The project proposals must address at least one of the following themes:
- Rural Economic Development/Entrepreneurship Development/Social Entrepreneurship
- Sustainable Rural Development and Preservation of Cultural Heritage
- Tourism Development (Agro/Culinary Tourism, Eco Tourism, Health and Wellness Tourism, Cultural Tourism, etc.)
- Basic Education
- Entrepreneurship Education in Higher Education Institutions
Gender Equality and Social Inclusion
- Women Empowerment
- Inclusion of Ethnic and Religious Minorities and other excluded or marginalized groups
- Civic Integration of People with Disabilities/Inclusive Education
- Protection of Children’s Rights and Child Welfare
Civic Engagement and more Informed Citizenry
- Journalism Education and Professionalism
- Regional Media Development
- Capacity Building and Advocacy for Local CSOs
- Cyber Security, Strategic Communications and Digital Diplomacy
- The maximum amount of a grant is $50,000 per project.
- Georgian not-for-profit organizations, including think tanks and civil society/non-governmentalOrganizations.
- Legal Entities of Public Laws, LEPL organizations.
- Higher Education Institutions.
- Independent media outlets registered in Georgia.
Each application will be evaluated and rated on the basis of the evaluation criteria outlined below.
- Quality and Feasibility of the Program Idea – 25 points: The programme idea is well developed, with detail about how programme activities will be carried out. The proposal includes a reasonable implementation timeline.
- Organizational Capacity and Record on Previous Grants – 25 points: The organization has expertise in its stated field and has the internal controls in place to manage federal funds. This includes a financial management system and a bank account.
- Programme Planning/Ability to Achieve Objectives – 15 points: Goals and objectives are clearly stated, and programme approach is likely to provide maximum impact in achieving the proposed results.
- Budget – 10 points: The budget justification is detailed. Costs are reasonable in relation to the proposed activities and anticipated results. The budget is realistic, accounting for all necessary expenses to achieve proposed activities.
- Monitoring and evaluation plan – 15 points: Applicant demonstrates it is able to measure program success against key indicators and provides milestones to indicate progress toward goals outlined in the proposal. The programme includes output and outcome indicators, and shows how and when those will be measured.
- Sustainability – 10 points: Programme activities will continue to have positive impact after the end of the programme.
Applicants must ensure:
- The proposal clearly addresses the goals and objectives of this funding opportunity
- All documents are in English
- All budgets are in U.S. dollars and excludes VAT
- All pages are numbered (max 9 pages)
- The application package must be archived only into ZIP archive. RAR archived packages will not be accepted.
Completed application and required supporting documents must be submitted electronically to [email protected]
For more information, visit Democracy Commission Small Grants.