Deadline: February 17, 2023
Applications are open for the OneBeat Virtual Residency Programme 2023. OneBeat is accepting applications for OneBeat Virtual #4 which will digitally convene approximately 20 musicians from up to 50 eligible countries and territories.
This fully virtual residency programme will take place from July 10 – September 4, 2023. During this 8-week period, OneBeat Fellows will investigate new forms of virtual collaboration, and work together to write, produce, and perform new musical works. The fellowship involves 28 working days over 8-weeks to allow for both online connection and asynchronous offline project development time. Selected Fellows will attend virtual masterclasses and open-studios, participate in online workshops, and produce a final presentation for a global audience.
OneBeat Virtual offers a unique opportunity for Fellows to incubate ideas for new forms of virtual collaboration engaging communities around the world, supported by mentorship and collaborative exchange. Past participants have developed projects that foster diversity and inclusion, develop new technologies, broaden access to education, encourage economic empowerment, engage with issues like climate change, and build community resilience.
- Fellows will receive a $1,500 USD honorarium and a modest per diem for their online participation.
- Open to Musicians, sound artists, and sonic explorers from eligible countries and territories.
- Applicant should be between the ages of 19-35.
- Applicants should be able to converse in and understand basic English, as it will be the common language of the OneBeat Virtual programme.
2023 List of Eligible Countries
Albania, Algeria, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bolivia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Brazil, Cambodia, China, Colombia, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ecuador, Egypt, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mexico, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Philippines, Poland, Russia, Senegal, Serbia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United States, Uzbekistan, Venezuela
- Musical Excellence: A high level of performance, composition, improvisational, production and/or technological skill. Ideally OneBeat Virtual musicians will be innovating stylistically, lyrically, or technologically within their musical worlds.
- Collaboration: Applicants’ willingness to reach across cultural and musical divides in creating original music or re-interpreting traditional music, while respecting the essence of each tradition. Applicants should be prepared to try new things musically.
- Social Engagement: Musicians who have used music to serve their communities or greater societies. This might consist of guiding young people in music education, addressing social or political issues through musical content, reviving dying musical traditions, and more.
- Digital Fluency: Applicants who have experience working, creating and collaborating in digital spaces, demonstrate skill in creating digital media, or show promise engaging and encouraging others engagement in web-based collaboration.
Applications are due by February 17, 2023 5:00 PM EST. OneBeat 2023 will take place July 10, 2023 – September 4, 2023.
For more information, visit OneBeat Virtual Residency.