Deadline: April 30, 2023
Applications for the Council for the Advancement of Science Writing (CASW) Sharon Begley Science Reporting Award 2023 are now open. The award, given annually, recognises and supports reporting and writing that embodies the high standards exemplified by Sharon Begley (1956–2021), a science journalist of unflinching dedication, skill, moral clarity, and commitment to mentoring.
This award is intended for science, health, and environmental journalists whose careers and work embody the extraordinary qualities of Sharon Begley’s journalism, which was known for:
- depth, especially scientific depth
- writing that helps the reader understand science
- precision and care in explaining scientific evidence
- approachability, humor, and respect for the reader
- exhaustive reporting; careful, thorough sourcing
- powerful, vivid, clear, humane writing and masterful storytelling
- fearless pursuit of truth
- myth-busting and ground-breaking reporting
- The Sharon Begley Award comprises a career prize, recognizing the accomplishments of a mid-career science journalist, and a grant of at least $20,000 to enable the winner to undertake a significant reporting project.
- Candidates must be experienced journalists who have compiled a substantial body of work in science journalism, defined as print, audio, video, and online reporting on science, health/medicine, environment, mathematics, and technology.
- Candidates should have been working journalists for at least 8–10 years, including significant experience in science journalism, or provide equivalent evidence of commitment to the field. Time spent as an editor counts toward eligibility.
- Current CASW board members, staff, and contractors, as well as members of their households, are ineligible. Journalists who have served on the Sharon Begley Award Advisory Committee become eligible three years after their service ends.
The following are components of your entry:
- Work samples
- Supporting documents
- Cover letter
- Supporting letters
- Project proposal
For more information, visit Sharon Begley Science Reporting Award.