Deadline: April 20, 2023
Applications are open for the UNESCO-TWAS Seed Grant for New African Principal Investigators (SG-NAPI) 2023. With the support of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), UNESCO-TWAS launched a new programme to strengthen the capacity of African countries lagging in science and technology.
The programme is aimed at young scientists who are getting established in their country or are about to return home to an academic position. Grants are awarded to promising high-level research projects in Agriculture, Biology, Chemistry, Earth sciences, Engineering, Information Computer Technology, Mathematics, Medical Sciences and Physics carried out in African countries lagging in science and technology identified by TWAS.
- Research Grants to research units amount to a maximum of USD $67,700.
- Applying Principal Investigators must be nationals of an eligible country, who holds a PhD and has good research experience. The grant should operate within a university or a research institution in one of the African countries lagging in science and technology.
- The PI must be 40 or under. Any applicant turning 41 in the year of application is not eligible.
- The PI must have obtained their Ph.D. within the last 5 years in a country other than their home country.
- The PI must have returned to their home country (refer to list in the guidelines) within the last 36 months or will return home before the end of 2023.
- The PI must hold, be offered or be in the process of accepting a position at an academic and/or research institution (including international research centers) in their home country.
- The PI must be national of an eligible African country that is lagging in science and technology.
- Applicant must at the time of application NOT have an active research grant with TWAS or OWSD Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowship.
- Applications from women scientists and those working in Least Developed Countries are especially encouraged.
- The applicant must submit a strong Research Proposal, you may find further information on how to write a strong proposal by visiting AuthorAID.
- Be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Scientists the Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programme or the TWAS Visiting Expert programme may still apply for another programme.
For more information, visit TWAS Seed Grant.