Deadline: March 15, 2023
Applications are open for the AFS Global STEM Accelerators 2023 Exchange Programme for Young Women. This is an extraordinary, full scholarship programme for girls who are active global citizens and energized to help solve some of today’s biggest global challenges.
Women around the world currently make up more than half of the college-educated workforce. However, STEM fields are made up of only 28% women. Women and girls who desire to learn more about STEM often face a challenging set of circumstances in fields that are traditionally dominated by men. That is why this programme dedicated to the future of women in STEM fields, was created. By providing an opportunity for girls from around the world to explore their interests in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics, AFS can start to change this trend and open up more possibilities for the perspectives of women in the greater goal of reaching a sustainable future.
About the Programme and Scholarship
Scholarship winners will participate in 12 week all-virtual programmes focusing on emerging and critical STEM skills and fields, global competence education, and social impact (co-developed with the University of Pennsylvania). Scholars will enrich their STEM knowledge and skills through interactive, hands-on curriculum, while developing critical global competencies, including problem-solving, analytical skills, intercultural understanding, and the ability to build bridges across cultures.
The programme culminates with team projects and presentations that offer potential solutions to real-world challenges, with an emphasis on climate change and the energy transition. Scholars who complete the programme earn the Advanced Certificate on Global Competence for Social Impact, awarded by AFS and the University of Pennsylvania Center for Social Impact Strategy.
- Over the course of twelve weeks, scholars will develop social impact prototypes and capstone presentations that offer potential solutions to real-world challenges, with an emphasis on sustainability.
- Upon completion, scholars earn the Advanced Certificate on Global Competence for Social Impact, awarded by AFS and the University of Pennsylvania, along with official feedback and validation from Penn’s Center for Social Impact Strategy.
- In addition, scholars will be invited to join AFS’ global alumni community, which offers diverse mentoring opportunities and networking resources.
- Applicants must be young women ages 15-17.5 years old at the programme start date (Birth dates from December 1, 2005, through September 1, 2008).
- Must be able to participate fully in a classroom setting and programme conducted entirely in English.
- Demonstrated interest in sustainability, STEM, and interacting with different cultures.
- Talented young people from all backgrounds who reflect the diversity of populations around the world, particularly underrepresented populations and students with high financial need, are strongly encouraged to apply!
In addition to filling out the online application you will also be asked to submit the following forms: Academic History, Parent/Guardian Permission Form, and Recommendation Letter. These forms can be accessed from your application portal.
Your Global STEM Accelerators application must be completed no later than 15 March, 2023. Late forms will not be accepted, and applications with missing forms will be considered incomplete.
For more information, visit AFS Global.