Deadline: April 21, 2023
Applications are open for the ShEquity Business Accelerator (SHEBA) 2023. The 17-week SHEBA program provides venture-building and technical support to African female entrepreneurs across the ECOWAS region who are looking to successfully grow their businesses and become investment ready.
Established in March 2021 by ShEquity in collaboration with its implementation partner, MBC Africa, SHEBA addresses the existing gender funding gap by de-risking African female-led businesses, getting them to become investment ready, and equipping the founders with the skill set needed to grow and scale their businesses. The SHEBA program has executed three (3) cohorts of 30 participants each, with participants from the following countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
SHEBA focuses on impactful, innovative, and scalable businesses in agribusiness (agric tech, production, processing, wholesale, retail, all agribusiness value chain aspects), climate-smart businesses, fast-moving consumer goods (FMCGs), healthcare, mobility/logistics, and tech-enabled businesses (fintech, clean tech, ed tech, etc.).
With only 2.4% raised by female-only founding teams of the total raised funds by startups in Africa in 2022 (~ $4.8 billion), SHEBA is positioned as the bridge to closing the gender funding gap in Africa. The accelerator program is designed to address investors’ concerns and investment risks by focusing on the following: Business Development, Finances, Legal & Governance, Human Resources & Leadership, Marketing & Communications as well as Impact Measurement. This investor-focused approach is complemented by hands-on market testing as well as executive coaching, mentorship sessions, and opportunities to leverage ShEquity and MBC Africa’s pan-African and global networks.
- In addition to the robust program development focus, SHEBA offers the opportunity to receive funding from ShEquity and other investors within the ShEquity network.
- After the acceleration program, qualifying businesses are recommended to the ShEquity team for investment consideration. The typical ShEquity seed investment ranges between US$50K and $250K, with an additional opportunity for post-investment support.
- Open to African female entrepreneurs.
- Applicants’ businesses should be duly registered in ECOWAS countries;
- Female-owned and managed with a minimum of 51% female ownership;
- Be in operation for at least 24 months.
Application deadline is April 21, 2023. Late applications will not be considered.
For more information, visit ShEquity Business Accelerator.