Deadline: April 30, 2023
Applications are open for the Africa Soft Power Project Climate Change Photo Essay Prize 2023. Climate change is one of the most important issues of our time, and the objective behind the prize is to encourage young people to engage with the issue in their local communities. For that reason, Africa Soft Power Project is thrilled to launch the prize with the theme: Climate change and your community. Entrants are asked to submit a photo essay of three to five photographs that tell a cohesive story and address the theme.
The judges seek entries that best depict the theme and convey a compelling story/message and winning entries will be announced at the Africa Soft Power Summit in Kigali in May 2023.
The Climate Change Photo Essay Prize is run by Africa Soft Power (ASP), in association with African Women Board (AWB) as part of the ‘Road to 100 Million Climate Soldiers in Africa’ campaign. The campaign is focused on climate education, which they view as the first step in securing climate solutions. Their goal is to educate and empower 100 million young Africans in the fight against climate change, which they will measure through the reach of each of the campaign’s projects.
- Winners will have their work shown at a curated exhibition held later this year.
- Entrants must be aged 18 to 30 on the closing date. You do not need to be a professional photographer to participate in this contest.
- Photo content must be appropriate to the theme.
- Each photo essay submitted is to consist of three (minimum) to five (maximum) images.
- They suggest only those images required to tell the story are included in the submission.
- Unnecessary images may reduce the overall impact of the photo essay.
- The photos must be yours. Do not use other people’s photos or plagiarize.
- Entries will be judged on the basis of effectiveness in conveying the story through the narrative composition, technique, content, and originality of well-edited images.
- Photos should be submitted to ASP via emailing [email protected] with the subject CLIMATE CHANGE PHOTO ESSAY PRIZE and your name.
- Your email body should only include the title of your photo essay and the photo selections. Note that judges will not read descriptions or explanations of your work.
- Make sure you are certain of your photo selections. Once you submit your photos, you cannot change or edit your submission.
- Photos must be at least 1200px on the longest side and at least 72dpi – only digital images will be accepted. (Please retain full-size versions of the images in your library as we may require them if your photo essay is picked as a winner).
- JPG/JPEG image files must be no larger than 2MB each.
- No watermarking or digital frames or borders.
For more information, visit Climate Change Photo Essay Prize.