Deadline: April 27, 2023
Applications are invited for the MJ Bear Fellowship 2023 for Digital Journalists. The MJ Bear Fellowship identifies and supports digital journalists under 30 whose work represents the best of digital news.
The one-year fellowship is designed to provide support and guidance to early-career journalists on a digital journalism project, as well as their own professional development. Themes for projects may include audience and social engagement, product development and digital or business strategy.
The fellowship provides:
- Registration to ONA’s annual conference. Fellows get free registration to digital journalism’s largest event and opportunities to network and share their work. The fellowship covers registration, hotel and flights for ONA23, Aug. 23-26 in Philadelphia.
- Three tailored coaching sessions. Based on the projects that fellows are working on and the skills they are looking to build, ONA works with industry leaders to design custom coaching sessions for the group. Past sessions have covered topics such as pitching projects, career advancement in a changing world, audience engagement, marketing and entrepreneurship.
- ONA membership, with three years’ dues paid in full.
- Additional opportunities to showcase work and expertise. During their fellowship year, fellows share insights from their projects and career journeys to ONA’s community. These insights become evergreen resources for the digital journalism community.
Open to digital journalists from around the world. In 2023, they will select six fellows. Applicants must meet the following requirements at the time of application:
- Born between June 26, 1993, and June 25, 2000
- Be a working digital journalist (either for an organization or self-employed); ONA encourages freelancers and journalists from diverse backgrounds to apply.
- Be fluent in English
- Be involved in a digital journalism project
Full-time students are not eligible.
To apply, you’ll need to have the following ready:
- Your resumé / CV
- A photo of yourself
- A link to the project that you’d like them to consider that is ongoing or started after Jan. 1, 2022
- The contact email from an employer, instructor or technology partner who is not a personal friend or family member and is familiarized with your project. This person will be asked to complete a short reference form on your behalf.
Have all of your application materials ready before beginning. You will not be able to save your application and return at a later time. Any links you provide must be public — with no password required. All *required fields* must be completed for the application to be accepted. Six fellows will be selected for 2023. Fellows will be announced in June.
All application materials are due by Thursday, April 27, 2023, 11:59 pm EDT (3:59 am UTC).
For more information, visit MJ Bear Fellowship.