Deadline: May 16, 2023
Applications are open for the Generation Google Scholarship 2023 for Women in Computer Science in Ireland. The Generation Google Scholarship: for women in computer science in Ireland was established to help aspiring computer scientists excel in technology and become leaders in the field.
A group of female undergraduate students will be chosen from the applicant pool, and scholarships will be awarded based on the strength of each candidate’s impact on diversity, demonstrated leadership, and academic background.
- Selected students will receive a 5,000 EUR award for two consecutive years of their undergraduate studies.
- Be currently enrolled as a first- or second-year undergraduate student at a university in Ireland for the 2022-2023 academic year;
- Intend to continue pursuing their bachelors degree at a university in Ireland for at least the 2023-2024 and 2024-25 academic years;
- Be studying computer science, computer engineering, or a closely related technical field;
- Demonstrate a strong academic record;
- Exemplify leadership and demonstrate a passion for improving representation of underrepresented groups in computer science and technology.
You will be asked to complete an online application which includes:
- General background information (e.g. contact information and details about your current and intended universities)
- Academic transcripts from your current institution
- Responses to short answer essay questions
The two short answer essay questions below are intended to assess your problem-solving skills and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Each response to the three questions below should be 500 words or less.
- Tell them about a time when you faced a complex problem without a clear path to a solution. Describe the steps you took to get to the solution in detail. What resources and solutions did you consider? What did you learn from this experience? Keep in mind that this can be a problem you have faced at school, work, extracurricular activities or home.
- From your personal experience, describe a barrier that prevents equitable access to the field of technology. What do you believe is the root cause? What actions have you taken to address this inequity and what actions do you plan to take? Please focus at least half of your response on the actions you have taken. Keep in mind that impact can happen in many ways and at different scales.
IMPORTANT: Before starting the application, please have the following ready for upload:
- PDF copy of your resume (if applicable, please include leadership positions, extracurricular activities, and diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts on your resume)
- PDF copy of your current or most recent transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
For more information, visit Generation Google Scholarship.