Deadline: June 9, 2023
Applications for the UNU-BIOLAC Fellowship Programme 2024 are now open. Following UNU-BIOLAC’s mission to build Biotechnology capacities within Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) region, they aim to help prepare and qualify professionals through short-term research fellowships.
All activities are co-organised with UNU-BIOLAC throughout the LAC countries and carried out in collaboration with an international network of highly qualified academics and researchers in the diverse fields of biotechnology.
This call is open to LAC professionals and students whose research focus is Biotechnology. These must be engaged in active research or pursuit of new research opportunities in, but not limited to, high-throughput and deep sequencing of genomes, metagenomic analysis and the discovery, characterisation and/or expression of new genes and biological functions in homologous or heterologous systems.
For 2024, UNU-BIOLAC is encouraging scientists to delve into the use of Biotechnology, including Bioinformatics and Big data, as a means to solve problems of scientific nature or the generation of biotechnological solutions/products derived from basic or applied research in the following priority areas:
- Emerging (e.g., COVID and others) and neglected human, animal and plant diseases.
- Genome editing, omics technologies, and similar approaches (e.g., synthetic biology) for biotechnological research.
- Drug discovery and vaccine development.
- Sustainable biotechnological processes and cost-effective bioengineered products or technologies.
- To perform their research fellowship, each funded fellow will receive a single stipend of USD $4,000 for travel and living expenses. Hosting institutions could also apply for funds through bench fees of USD $500 per visit month.
- Applications are sought from LAC researchers who pursue the highest level of research excellence with a demonstrated passion for delivering social impact in biotechnology.
- All candidates must have been accepted by a LAC research or educational institution before proceeding with the application.
All documentation with the corresponding form should be sent to [email protected]. Email Subject: Fellowship Application 2024: “Name of the applicant.
The email must have the following format:
- *Name of the applicant.
- *Investigation Subject.
- *Proposed dates for the Fellowship.
- Work Plan for Fellow Candidate.
- Cover Letter.
- Vendor Form Fellow
- Vendor Form Institution
- Personal Resumé.
- Mentor and Supervisor Resumés.
- Acceptance letter from the hosting institution.
- Fellowship Application Form: Acceptance of Conditions of Grant by Director of Applicant’s Institution.
Note that an application MUST be oriented towards the UNU-BIOLAC priority areas. Any application not meeting this requirement will need an explanation letter.
All applications will be reviewed by at least four (4) international evaluators; therefore, it is required that all documents be submitted in English. The final decision will be informed during the following three months after UNU-BIOLAC receives the application.
For more information, visit UNU-BIOLAC Fellowship.