Deadline: May 15, 2023
Proposals are invited for the EJN Content Production & Distribution of Information to Build Awareness about Renewable Energy in India 2023. Internews’ Earth Journalism Network (EJN) is seeking to boost content production and distribution of information to build awareness about renewable energy in India, with a focus on Bihar, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh.
EJN will support the production of in-depth content on the subject, with the aim of improving access to quality information and raising awareness among policymakers, project developers, investors and observers.
Renewable Energy (RE) projects have been impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic and the ensuing global economic downturn. Challenges related to project financing, payment, regulations and evacuation infrastructure have added to the worries of RE developers. Still, the long-term prospects remain bright, as India seeks to install 500 GW of renewable energy capacity by 2030.
To improve public awareness about this issue, Earth Journalism Network is looking to provide fellowships to produce in-depth content on policy, financing, payment and infrastructure hurdles — and on effective strategies and solutions to overcome them.
- EJN will provide support, by way of remuneration, of approximately Rs 90,000 to each selected applicant, depending on the proposal and method of coverage, with some flexibility for in-depth and data-driven content using innovative and investigative approaches that may be more costly to produce.
- Proposals from all states in India are eligible, but proposals that shed light on the RE situation in Bihar, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh will be prioritized.
- Groups of content producers are eligible. However, the application must be made in the name of one lead applicant. Lead applicants are responsible for communicating with EJN and receiving funds as remuneration on the group’s behalf, if awarded.
- For the purposes of this opportunity, they will be accepting applications in English, Hindi, Marathi and Tamil.
- Applications are open to India-based content producers (online, print, television, radio) and other experts with a demonstrated interest in covering the RE sector. They will give preference to those who regularly cover economy, business and energy beats. To ensure equal opportunities and diversity of voices, they especially encourage applications from women, youth, and members of Indigenous communities.
- They are seeking applications from freelancers and staff from all types of outlets — international, national, local and community-based.
- EJN reserves the right to disqualify applicants from consideration if they have been found to have engaged in unethical or improper professional conduct.
Applicants should consider the following points when devising their proposals:
- Relevance: Does the proposal meet the criteria and objectives of this call? Why does this report matter and to whom? Is the main idea, context and overall value to the target audience clearly defined?
- Angle: If the subject has been covered by already, does your proposal bring new insights into the topic or offer a fresh angle?
- Impact: Does the proposal have a compelling narrative or investigative element that will inform and engage, draw attention, trigger debate and urge action?
- Innovative storytelling: The use of creative approaches, multimedia and data visualization will be considered a plus.
- Plan for timely publication of content: Content producers will need to include a letter of support from a media outlet in their application, committing to publish the stories no later than October 15, 2023.
The application deadline is May 15, 2023 at 02:29 AM, Asia/Kolkata IST.
For more information, visit EJN.