Deadline: June 30, 2023
Are you a Kenyan Youth passionate about the food system? Join the Youth in Agribusiness Innovators Challenge 2023 for an opportunity to maximize the potential of your idea/innovation and/or enterprise in transforming the Food System.
As part of the European Union Funded Healthy Diets 4 Africa Project, Food Security for Peace and Nutrition Africa (FSPN-Africa) is engaging youth innovators in leading Food System transformation in Kenya through the Youth in Agribusiness Innovators’ Challenge.
The main goal of the challenge is to empower, strengthen and shape innovations by youth in agriculture, food and nutrition in effort to position for scaling. This initiative will provide a platform for young people to improve their capacities through mentorship and linkages to partners, experts and key resources to support adoption of best approaches to improve innovations for food and nutrition security that are sustainable and scalable.
- Network and collaborate with Healthy Diets 4 Africa partners and participating teams.
- Business/innovation and financial assessment for scaling support.
- Training, mentorship and tailor-made matchmaking with industry actors for innovation/solution scaling.
- Successful businesses/innovations will be awarded grants between USD $500-USD $1,000
- You can make a submission for your idea/innovation/enterprise as an individual or a team of not more than five;
- All applicants and team should not be more than 35 years of age.
Solutions submitted to Youth in Agribusiness Innovators Challenge should:
- Address a food system problem in one or more of these thematic areas:
- Sustainable Innovations for crop production ( solutions that improve productivity while managing natural resources such water,soil)
- Urban and Peri-Urban Agriculture (solutions that provide healthy food by utilizing small spaces)
- Value Addition (solutions/process/techniques/enterprises that transform raw agricultural products to new products)
- Storage and Post Handling Innovations (innovations that work to reduce food waste and losses
- Focus on the following Value Chains
- Vegetables (Mushrooms, African Leafy Vegetables, Pumpkin and/or Pumpkin Leaves)
- Cereals (Finger Millet, Pearl Millet and/or Sorghum)
- Tubers (Cassava and/or Sweet potatoes)
- Legumes (Pigeon Peas, green grams and/or Beans)
- Fruits ( Tree tomato, Guava, Baobab : any additional fruits is acceptable)
- Have presence in Kenya.
- Clearly show novelty, feasibility and sustainability.
- Submit your idea/innovations/enterprise by filling in the application form.
- Upload 1 to 2-minute video showing how your innovations/solution works.
For more information, visit Youth in Agribusiness Innovators Challenge.