Deadline: July 19, 2023
Do you have an innovative idea about how to protect marine life? Or tackle marine debris? Or help coastal communities adapt to the effects of climate change? Apply for the Global Environmental Education Partnership (GEEP) Youth Innovation Challenge 2023.
GEEP is excited to announce its 2023 Youth Innovation Challenge: Saving Our Seas! In partnership with the Taiwan Ocean Conservation Administration (OCA), this year’s challenge provides an opportunity for young people ages 15–30 around the world to share their innovative solutions to protect marine resources and support people of all ages to be engaged stewards for marine conservation. They are looking for solutions that are innovative, feasible, and informed by research.
A total of 15 YIC finalists will be selected and will receive the following benefits:
- An official YIC finalist certificate
- Recognition through GEEP, NAAEE, and other global partners’ websites and social media pages
- An invitation to a virtual dialogue with other YIC awardees in late 2023. This interactive dialogue will give awardees an opportunity to share ideas, learn from new perspectives, and expand their networks.
- They will select 3 winners from the 15 YIC finalists. Each winner will receive a $1,000 USD prize, in addition to all the benefits listed above.
The Youth Innovation Challenge is intended for young leaders and innovators aged 15–30. Your innovative solutions must provide a solution to one of the following key areas, using environmental education as a key component:
- Marine biodiversity and conservation: Managing, protecting, and/or restoring marine biodiversity for its ecological, cultural, economic, or other values. This can include using education as a key tool in establishing and/or managing marine protected areas (MPA) under the global 30 X 30 initiative (to protect 30% of Earth’s surface by 2030).
- Marine debris: Reducing and/or mitigating the effects of marine debris, including the monitoring, clean up, and recycling of marine debris, and educating communities about how to address these issues.
Submit your application before July 19, 2023 at 11:59 PM U.S. Eastern Time. Winners will be notified by November 2023.