Deadline: July 10, 2023
Proposals are invited for the UNESCO Excellence in Journalism Education Project 2023. This call for grants funding is part of UNESCO’s excellence in journalism education in Africa project. The project, funded by the Google News Initiative, is being implemented by the Wits Centre for Journalism and the Rhodes School of Journalism and Media Studies.
The aim of the project is to increase the impact of journalism schools, colleges and universities in Africa, through strengthening their responsiveness to the training and education needs of journalists working on the continent. Part of the project has involved developing a set of criteria for excellence in journalism education in Africa through a series of regional consultations with journalism educators. The criteria ask specific questions of journalism schools as a way of institutions self-assessing how relevant and meaningful their education and training programmes are to the contextual needs of teaching journalism in Africa.
The intention of this call is to provide 10 grants to select journalism schools, colleges and universities from across the continent up to the maximum value of $16,000 each. Institutions who are awarded the grant need to use this money to implement a project they have identified that strengthens their journalism programme.
- Up to $16,000 will be allocated to each successful application, and a total of 10 grants will be awarded.
- Open to journalism schools, colleges and universities in Africa.
- Only one proposal per institution will be considered. Confer with your colleagues to ensure that no duplicate proposals are received from your institution.
- Institutions that participated in the series of regional online consultations will be prioritised in the selection process.
The process of selection is competitive. However, the selection committee will take the following issues into consideration when making a decision:
- Geography and language
- Diversity of topics
- How practical the project proposed is within its timeframe
- Capacity of institution to deliver on their proposed project
- Diversity, inclusion and gender equity
Complete the survey to help you identify gaps in your journalism education programme and apply for a grant from UNESCO with an action plan to address any gaps identified (only institutions that have completed the survey will be able to apply).
For more information, visit UNESCO.