Deadline: October 1, 2023
Applications are open for the Fetisov Journalism Awards 2023. The mission of Fetisov Journalism Awards is to promote universal human values such as honesty, justice, courage and nobility through the example of outstanding journalists from all over the world as their dedicated service and commitment contribute to changing the world for the better.
The award categories include:
- Outstanding Contribution to Peace: Journalism contributes to peace and conflict resolution by giving voice to peacemakers and highlighting non-violent solutions to social conflict and the struggle for agency or power in society. Entries may focus on a range of questions — arms reduction and disarmament; community discord; ending of national and international conflicts; the work of national and international peacekeepers and community support organisations.
- Contribution to Civil Rights: The defence of human rights and civil freedoms is a key indicator of journalism as a public good. Entries in this category will reflect respect for individual freedoms, diversity, the rights of minorities and inclusive dialogues in society. Issues covered may include the right to life and personal integrity; freedom of expression, association and religion; and other core civil rights set out in international human rights treaties.
- Outstanding Investigative Reporting: Investigative reporting holds power to account and is the bedrock of public interest journalism. Entries in this category may focus on the detailed examination of injustice, corruption and wrongdoing in public life or may provide revealing insights into important data and information that is hidden from public view.
- Excellence in Environmental Journalism: Entries in this category will raise public awareness of the climate emergency and the global environmental crisis. The reporting may examine the impact of change on communities as traditional habitats and ways of living are changed beyond recognition.
The total prize fund is 520,000 CHF. Three winners in each category share a monetary prize of 130,000 CHF (including taxes, as stipulated by the legislation in force):
- The first prize winner receives 100,000 CHF and a unique silver statuette designed and handcrafted in Switzerland.
- The second prize winner receives 20,000 CHF.
- The third prize winner receives 10,000 CHF.
- Open to professional journalists, i.e. representatives of the media, professional journalism organizations (unions/associations/societies) and freelance journalists.
- Self-nominations are allowed.
- Maximum of 3 (three) reportings/series of reportings from one journalism organization/media platform can be nominated for participation in the contest.
- The submission form may be filled out by a representative of a registered organization/media platform nominating another journalist or by a nominee. Information must be provided in English.
- One entry (one reporting or a series of reportings) from an author/team of authors is accepted.
- Publications (stories/articles/reportings) participating in the contest must have been published in printed media (newspapers/magazines/journals) and/or posted on media websites/outlets from June 1, 2022 to May 31, 2023.
- The word restriction for the submitted publications is 20,000 words.
- Films, videos and audio recordings as separate pieces of work are not accepted for the contest.
The following criteria are taken into account in assessment of publications:
- Accuracy: ensuring the information is fact-based and reliable;
- Independence: avoiding political and corporate bias and undue influence;
- Impartiality and fairness;
- Humanity: how principles of non-discrimination and respect for victims, minorities and vulnerable groups are applied
- Transparency: how the reporting process was out in the open and the athors made themselves accountable
- Promotion of ethical principles
- Positive impact of a publication on the political, economic or social situation in a particular area, country or globally.
One publication must be attached to the application form. If a series of publications on one subject are submitted for the contest they must be sent in one file. The attached file must be in PDF format and must not exceed 10 Mb. The PDF file must be of good quality and contain full well-readable text of the publication otherwise the Steering Committee has the right to disqualify the entry.
For more information, visit Fetisov Journalism Awards.