Deadline: September 22, 2023
Applications are open for the Allan Gray Centre for Africa Entrepreneurship (AGCAE) PhD & Masters Scholarships 2024. The Allan Gray Centre for Africa Entrepreneurship (AGCAE) resides in the School of Public Leadership (SPL), within the faculty of Economic and Management Sciences. The AGCAE creates, integrates and diffuses knowledge to improve data-and-dialogue driven entrepreneurial ecosystem development in Africa in order to increase well-being of communities with entrepreneurship.
The AGCAE aims to enable entrepreneurship-led development in Africa with a data-and-dialogue driven entrepreneurial ecosystem approach. Their strategic priorities are:
- Create and integrate entrepreneurial ecosystem data of African countries and regions.
- Analyse and interpret entrepreneurial ecosystem data of African countries and regions.
- Develop and communicate scientifically rigorous and societally relevant entrepreneurial ecosystem research.
- Create a platform for stakeholders that provide and use entrepreneurial ecosystem data and knowledge in Africa (including academics, governments, entrepreneurship service providers, entrepreneurship associations, philanthropies, NGOs, venture capitalists).
- Contribute to the development of entrepreneurship and economic development scholarship in Africa.
The AGCAE is currently accepting applications for its full-time, funded doctoral and masters research programmes. Applications will be considered for the following two scholarship opportunities:
- AGCAE Doctoral Scholarships: Full-time doctoral scholarships valued at R250,000 per year for three years.
- AGCAE Master’s Scholarships: Full-time masters scholarships valued at R150,000 per year for two years.
- A candidate must meet the minimum criteria for admission to a PhD programme at Stellenbosch University. This requires a master’s degree in a relevant discipline for PhD applications.
- A candidate must meet the minimum criteria for admission to a Master’s programme at Stellenbosch University. This requires an honours degree in a relevant discipline for Master’s applications.
- The scholarships are open to South African citizens and African foreign nationals. Preference will be given to previously disadvantaged South African and African foreign national citizens.
- Candidates must have achieved a minimum mark of:
- 70% in their master’s programmes to be eligible for the AGCAE Doctoral Scholarships.
- 70% in their honours’ programmes to be eligible for the AGCAE Master’s Scholarships.
- Only applications in one of the AGCAE’s 2023 AGCAE research themes will be considered.
The application deadline is September 22, 2023 and the new intake of full-time candidates will commence their studies in Stellenbosch on January 15, 2024.
- Download and complete either the PhD Application Form or the Master’s application form:
- You will be required to write a letter motivating your suitability for the scholarship (maximum length: one A4 page), as well as a research concept note (no maximum length) on a research topic which you intend to study during your doctoral studies. These should be completed on the application form in the relevant sections.
- In addition to the completed application form, the following supporting documents are required:
- Academic records: Full particulars of ALL previous and current tertiary studies. Please submit copies of certified diploma/degree certificates AND official study records (transcripts). Please note that academic records from student portals will not be acceptable.
- ID or passport: A certified copy of your ID (South African) or passport (international) photo page
- Proof of competency in English: Applicants either need to provide proof that they have obtained their qualifications from tertiary institutions where English is the language of instruction, or proof of English Language proficiency. This evidence must accompany your application and must not be older than 24 months from the date of application.
Completed and signed application forms + supporting documents should be submitted to the Graduate School Office via email at [email protected] by Friday, September 22, 2023 at 23h59. No late applications will be accepted. Ensure that your three references are informed that their referee letters, stating your capability to complete doctoral or master’s studies, should be sent directly to the Graduate School via email ([email protected]) on or before Friday, September 22, 2023 at 23h59.
For more information, visit AGCAE PhD & Masters Scholarships.