Deadline: October 15, 2023
Applications are open for the Commonwealth Secretary-General Innovation for Sustainable Development Awards 2023. Launched by the Commonwealth Secretary-General in 2019, the awards recognise ground-breaking innovations from Commonwealth countries that contribute to one or more of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals. The awards focus on celebrating innovations that improve the lives of people, protect the planet, support prosperity, promote peace and strengthen partnerships for sustainable development.
Three awards will be given in each of the following five categories:
- Improve the well-being of Commonwealth PEOPLE
- Improve PROSPERITY in the Commonwealth
- Protect the PLANET and the natural environment in the Commonwealth
- Promote PEACE and justice in the Commonwealth
- Promote PARTNERSHIPS for development in the Commonwealth
- Each winner will receive a trophy, a certificate of recognition and a cash prize of £3,000 at an award ceremony, to be held during the inaugural Commonwealth Edition of Kenya Innovation Week 2023 in Nairobi on 27 November.
- Nominees can be individuals, organisations, companies, charities or government ministries / departments / agencies;
- Nominees must be directly engaged in developing their innovations, either in a full-time, part-time or voluntary capacity;
- Nominees must be Commonwealth citizens, governments or public sector organisations in Commonwealth countries, private enterprises based in Commonwealth countries or civil society / not-for-profit organisations based in Commonwealth countries;
- Nominated innovations must be able to demonstrate impact or potential in achieving progress on one or more of the 17 SDGs in a Commonwealth country (or countries);
- Award winners must agree to take part in Commonwealth-supported activities and initiatives related to the Commonwealth Innovation for Sustainable Development Awards.
- Women and young people, who are transforming their communities through innovative solutions, are especially encouraged to apply.
- Level of achievement, impact or demonstrable potential of innovation to advance sustainable development in one or more Commonwealth countries; strategy, business / delivery plan and impact evaluation / results measurement framework;
- Level of innovation/fresh approaches to problem-solving;
- Quality of achievement and impact;
- Quality of the evidence and supporting documentation provided.
The entry deadline is October 15, 2023 at 23:59 Hours GMT.
For more information, visit Commonwealth Secretary-General Awards.