Deadline: October 9, 2023
Applications are open for the Bill Lane Center for the American West Media Fellowships 2024. The Bill Lane Center for the American West has been supporting journalism about the West and its environment for a decade or more. Their Western Journalism and Media Fellowships provide opportunities for journalists working in all kinds of media — newspapers, magazines, radio, television, online, multimedia, video, film, data visualization and mapping, and books.
The fellowship enables journalists to:
- Interact with Stanford researchers, scholars, and students
- Develop or work on a project of their own design
- Spur new coverage and understanding of the American West
They are particularly interested in supporting projects that:
- Intersect with ongoing research at Stanford and the Bill Lane Center.
- Address significant challenges facing the American West.
- Explore promising new possibilities for journalism and the media in the region.
- They offer a single media fellowship with a $5,000 stipend for three months work. Half of the grant is dispensed when the fellow is selected and the other half upon publication of the story. The award will fund a journalist illuminating crucial issues about the region.
- The work should examine a crucial aspect of the West, its land, its people, its history, and the impact of the forces that power its economies;
- The applicant should have ties to a news organization which will guarantee serious consideration of publishing the work; the Bill Lane Center is not responsible for securing publication;
- Publication should happen within six months of the award, or by May 15, 2024;
- The work itself could be one or could be any combination of the following: print or online articles, photography or photo essays, informational graphics, podcasts, video journalism, documentary films, fact-based graphic novels or graphic documentaries.
Applications should include a description of the proposed project, a brief resume and the name of the news organization or other outlet through which the work would be distributed. Email the above to Felicity Barringer, writer in residence at the Bill Lane Center for the American West: [email protected]
For more information, visit Media Fellowships.