Deadline: November 30, 2023
Applications for the U.S.-Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI) Tomorrow Leaders Program 2024-2025 are now open. Sponsored by the Department of State’s U.S.-Middle East Partnership Initiative (MEPI), the Tomorrow’s Leaders Program offers undergraduate and graduate scholarships for accomplished students who represent the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region’s cultural, religious, and geographic diversity. The Program aims to serve students from socioeconomically underserved backgrounds who demonstrate strong leadership potential but lack the means to obtain an American-style education.
The Tomorrow’s Leaders program partners with prominent U.S.-accredited universities in the MENA region to build a diverse and dynamic network of future changemakers. Through the high-quality education provided by our partner institutions—the American University of Beirut, the Lebanese American University, and the American University in Cairo—program participants are equipped with the necessary knowledge and skills for leadership at local, regional, and national levels.
The program provides:
- Tuition and enrollment fees (for a maximum period of four academic years for undergraduate students and two academic years for graduate students)
- University health insurance
- Entrance visa and residency permit fees
- Student housing
- Monthly living stipend when participating in TL activities
- Textbook allowance
- Laptop (for use for the duration of the program)
- Two round-trip tickets to home country, territory, or place of residence per year
- Civic leadership and career-oriented workshops
- Internship opportunities
- Faculty mentorship and guidance
- An opportunity to study at a university in the United States (undergraduate students only)
- An opportunity to participate in graduate assistantships or research assistantships (master’s students only)
- Open to current high school students or those that graduated in 2023. For applicants from Yemen, Syria, Libya, and Iraq, the Program accepts applications from current high school students or those who graduated high school in 2021 or 2022. Applicants who graduated in 2020 or earlier are not eligible to apply.
- Eligible countries include: Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia, West Bank/Gaza, and Yemen.
- U.S. citizens and U.S. legal permanent residents are not eligible to apply.
The deadline to submit the applications is November 30, 2023, at 11:59 pm EST.
A complete application will include:
- All applicable sections of the application
- Personal statement that allows the student to select one of three prompts to complete 500 words or upload a 5- to 6-minute video
- Social Responsibility Essay, with a 500-word limit response
- Official transcripts:
- If applying for the Undergraduate program, transcripts for grades 10 and 11 (and 12 when available) of your secondary school and your graduation certificate/diploma. An unofficial translation of these documents should be provided if they are not in English.
- If applying for the Graduate program transcripts from your undergraduate studies and graduation certificate/degree. An unofficial translation of these documents should be provided if they are not in English.
- Documentation of extracurricular and/or volunteer activities
- Tomorrow’s Leaders Application Financial Statement
- Results of a brief online English assessment completed when filling out the application. Use the same email address to register for the English exam as you use for your Tomorrow’s Leaders log in.
- Two recommendations will be required. Recommenders will be sent requests automatically through the application system. Please have the email addresses, if available, of your recommenders available when filling out the application.
If your application is selected to move forward to the next round you will additionally need to provide the following:
- English proficiency results from TOEFL or IELTS, which can be submitted after application submission but no later than March 8, 2024
- SAT I or SAT II score sheet (required for select majors and students who attend American-style high schools) to be submitted no later than March 15, 2024