Deadline: October 1, 2023
Applications are open for the IUCEA East Africa Community Student’s Mobility Scholarship Scheme 2023/2024. The IUCEA is inviting qualified individuals from the East African Community (EAC) partner states to apply for the first cohort of undergraduate programs under the East Africa Community Student’s Mobility Scholarship Scheme (EAC-SMS). The EAC-SMS is made possible through funding from a consortium of IUCEA-member universities, the IUCEA, and parents/guardians/self.
The IUCEA (Inter-University Council for East Africa) is mandated with coordinating Higher Education in the East African Community (EAC) according to the IUCEA Act of 2009. Promoting access to and affordability of higher education in the EAC region has been a top priority in fulfilling her mandate as per the Act. The IUCEA has actioned various strategies aimed at promoting academic mobility for students and staff, ultimately facilitating regional integration. The mobility program for students, which includes scholarships, has attracted various initiatives, such as a standardized fee for EAC citizen students studying at host universities in EAC countries, as well as scholarship programs for both undergraduate and postgraduate students.
59 Undergraduate scholarships are available in the 2023/2024 academic year.
- IUCEA– Inter-University Council for East Africa
- Provide medical insurance.
- Provide transport facilitation by road whenever applicable at the beginning and the end of the academic programme.
- Offer scholarships through tuition and examination fee waivers.
- Offer admission and induction to the scholarship awardees.
- Provide a contact person for liaison with IUCEA and Parents/guardians.
- Monitor and provide regular progress reports on the performance of the scholarship program.
- Cater for accommodation and living expenses.
- Cater for other university fees (except tuition and examination- provided in the scholarship).
- Provide any other material/information as may be required.
- Be a national of the EAC Partner states (Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda).
- Should apply to a participating university from another East African partner state (not their country of origin/citizenship).
- Should qualify for admission in any of the available programs in a participating university not in her/his country of citizenship.
- Be registered or registrable in the selected university program.
- Meet the age requirement for the scholarship program below 22 Years.
- Be required to study in another EAC country (not their country of origin/citizenship).
The deadline for application is October 1, 2023, not later than 17:00 hours, East African Time.
The application process is two-fold and each MUST be completed separately.
1. Application for Admission to the University
- Step 1: Identify the programme and University of your choice that contains Eligible Programmes.
- Step 2: Fill out the application form for admission to the university of choice (Check the university website). Ensure you pay the University application fee (Attached to your application).
- Step 3: Submit the completed university application form and supporting documents to the selected university indicating that you are applying for the IUCEA (EAC-SMS) Scholarship.
2. Application for the EAC-SMS Scholarship (IUCEA)
- Step 1: Register online for the scholarship
- Step 2: Download the Scholarship Application Form
- Step 3: Submit the COMPLETE application form and supporting documents in PDF format as one zip folder electronically to electronically to [email protected] and [email protected]
The following supporting documents are required:
- A letter of motivation for applying for the scholarship.
- Updated and Signed Curriculum Vitae.
- Certified copies of all academic certificates and transcripts.
- A copy of the university Application Form and its attachments (including payment of application fees).
- A recent passport photograph in color captures your full head and upper shoulders.
- Evidence of Nationality of a Partner State in the East African Community such as a copy of a national identity card/ passport/birth certificate.
- Additional certificates, awards, and prizes as evidence of participation in extra-curricular activities
- Any other form of evidence is required e.g., medical reports, photos, and letters of reference.
For more information, visit IUCEA Scholarship Scheme.