Deadline: October 13, 2023
Applications for the Michelle Lang Fellowship in Journalism 2023-2024 are now open. The Michelle Lang Fellowship is awarded to a promising journalist at the beginning of their career, providing the opportunity to grow their skills in the profession and bolster their experience with a full year working in two of Canada’s busiest newsrooms.
The Michelle Lang Fellowship was created to honour a courageous and exemplary young journalist who paid the ultimate price while doing critical work. The Fellow will divide their year between stints working for the National Post and in Postmedia’s Calgary newsroom (Calgary Herald and Calgary Sun). The fellowship includes a special project which allows the recipient to focus on a topic of primary importance to Canadians. Their work on the project will contribute to a national conversation and allow the Fellow to become a subject expert on a topic deserving of wider attention.
- The fellowship includes a salary for the year, with funding provided by Postmedia and the Michelle Lang Trust.
- Open to applicants from any educational background with strong writing and communication skills, a natural curiosity and a desire to effect change through journalism.
- Michelle Lang held a Bachelor of Arts degree in English so this fellowship is not limited to students studying journalism.
The criteria for selection are:
- A commitment to journalism and a love of storytelling in all its forms.
- Strong writing and communication skills.
- A natural curiosity and a desire to effect change through journalism.
- An ability to work well with colleagues.
- Basic reporting skills.
- Bilingualism, in French or other languages, is considered an asset.
- Previous daily newspaper experience is an asset but is not mandatory.
- Successful candidates must have a valid driver’s licence.
The deadline for entries is October 13, 2023 and the Fellowship is expected to begin in January 2024.
For more information, visit Michelle Lang Fellowship.